Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Meeting Girlfriends Parents/Playing Poker Summer Job

"self employed- online investing"

Thats been my line so far this summer.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:59 PM

Statistical Probability Engineer Intern for an overseas company?
Old 06-21-2007, 06:05 PM

Lying about this is ridiculous. I tell everyone who asks what I do and if they don't like it then who gives a [censored].
Old 06-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Making a job up seems bad, and can lead to all sorts of trouble. Tell them you have some money saved up and won't be working this summer. If they ask how you got the money you saved up, tell them from poker, I guess. Or maybe just "I won it" or something.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 PM

IMO anything but saying "I will be playing online poker" is dumb.

If there is confusion, make it clear that it *will* be a job that you take seriously. You're not F'ing around.

Yugoslav
Old 06-21-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slap them in the face with a stack of hundos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I didn't see this one. Ok this is acceptable as well.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 PM

I don't understanding what is so bad about just saying you are going to be playing poker for the summer, and that you make good money at it. It's your girlfriend's parents, who really gives a [censored] what they think. If they are gonna run your girl's life because they don't like what you do, then you probably need a new girl anyway. It is my feeling that any girl that really cares about you will support you no matter what. She knows how much money you are bringing in, I am sure she appreciates all the money you spend on her. If the parents don't like it, [censored] em, you aren't sleeping with them anyway.

In closing, don't be a pussy and man up for your beliefs. Better to find out about judgmental [censored] for parents sooner rather than later.

C-Dog
Old 06-21-2007, 06:55 PM

Just dump your girlfriend. It´s the only way of avoiding such an awkward solution.

Just kidding...but there is no easy solution for this, and it depends on a bunch of factors.

1. What your poker bankroll is. If say you were making $200k per month playing poker, I think that the g/f´s parents would be far more understanding than if you´re struggling to beat $0.10/0.20 with a $90 roll.

2. Have you any other skill that you could pretend you´re giving lessons in? e.g. I gave a few coaching lessons in Chess before I started earning lots more with poker. So, if asked what a summerjob might be, I typically say "doing a bit of chess coaching".

3. How your girlfriend feels. Ask her what she thinks, she´ll probs have a decent idea of how her Dad will react to the whole poker thing. Also, maybe SHE could ease her family into accepting the whole poker issue.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:03 PM

I love to tell people "I deal drugs," because they are fairly sure that's not true and yet they usually don't ask further. And it's funny, and mysterious, etc.

It'd take a lot of skill, and the right kinda people, to use that with a girlfriend's parents, though.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understanding what is so bad about just saying you are going to be playing poker for the summer, and that you make good money at it. It's your girlfriend's parents, who really gives a [censored] what they think. If they are gonna run your girl's life because they don't like what you do, then you probably need a new girl anyway. It is my feeling that any girl that really cares about you will support you no matter what. She knows how much money you are bringing in, I am sure she appreciates all the money you spend on her. If the parents don't like it, [censored] em, you aren't sleeping with them anyway.

In closing, don't be a pussy and man up for your beliefs. Better to find out about judgmental [censored] for parents sooner rather than later.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

unless op's gf doesn't care about what her parents think of him (which may be true but probably isn't), this is bad advice. also, would you dump a girl b/c you didn't like her parents?