Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes

Old 11-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Cash game pros - lifestyle (and numbers) questions

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
cool thread. i'm kind of gearing towards cash game semi pro-dom myself, with aspirations to make a modest living at 6max 200NL and 400NL. haven't really been able to get the ball rolling too much, though i have enough to live off of for a while from some donkament cashes. for a long time tournaments were sort of my security blanket, 'cause i always felt like any day going to go on a massive downswing in cash. i think i play cash well, though

lately school has me swamped and i've been reading 2+2 and studying the game a lot more than actually playing, since it's something i can do more sporadically than buckling down and putting in a session

anyone else make their living off of poker while still a full time student at a university? i find it hard to focus on both (although i am pretty lazy)

[/ QUOTE ]

Focusing on school and poker is something that I have always struggled at. I do well at school but sometimes I will just get into these poker binges and not go to classes for days at a time, sometimes weeks. Next semester I am just doing college part time because of this. I feel if you want to be successful at both you need to set very strict rules about when to play poker and when to study.

[/ QUOTE ]

myself and all of my friends at school that play semi pro or w/e have this same problem...its all about priorities and all of ours are poker over school

i really havnt gone to many classes at all this semester but i think if your class meets twice a week going to one of those is ok if you can really cram before finals which i think works best for me

anyway gl op and i could be wrong i would guess that moving up above 1,2 (almost definitely 2,4) is a bad idea...over a frew k hands you may think wow-no biggie, but the games really are much different, i would try and get in about 100k hands + at mostly 1,2 and some 2,4 before i played much 3,6 or 5-10 at all (*there isnt that much difference skill wise between 3,6 and 2,4 just more variance $$ bc of bigger buyin)

anyway, gl man
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM

You should not worry about your sleeping cycle. I am playing as a pro for over a year now and what I found out is that I play much better when I am rested and the strength of other players does not affect my winrate. So you should keep up your regular sleep schedule and play only when you feel good. Playing at night is not much better than playing in the morning to catch fish.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Little bit off topic, but I play to finance education as well.
However Im not playing 6-12 tables at the time, but rather 2 or 3.
Im never getting 100k+ hands in a month or two.
Even tho I feel comfertable playing at theese stakes I get alot advice that says you cant read anything from a sample that is 30-50k.

So what are the opinions on this?

Sqeeze my french.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a couple of things: first you've got a lot of flexibility with social life and time spent playing. After trying alot of schedules I've been working 9-5 and it seems to be the best, but you can chose what you want.

Its the same with your social life. There is very few mandatory functions (God fishes at 25/50 and the like), so you make your own.

As for your decision to go pro, I would suggest moving down. You don't have alot of sample size at 5/10 and the games are tough, only the best players maintain 7BB/100. You are going to go broke.

[/ QUOTE ]

7bb/100 was some other guy, not OP.

I do my best to balance everything, school and poker are pretty difficult to do together, a lot of the times i have to sacrifice one for the other.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:09 PM

i play 1-2 almost exclusively now, with some 2-4 when the games are soft.

THe time i tried 3-6 and 5-10 was when i was not relying on poker for income, now that i have gone pro i have not played anything above 2-4 ... its all 1-2 and sometimes 2-4. I plan on staying at this level for a few months. My goal is 1.1k profit per 2weeks, which is more then attainable if i stick to 1-2.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:11 PM

I am planning on going pro in 1.5 years when I have finished my master degree. I'm moving to France in a month, and will learn French there before going back to Norway (probably) to finish up the degree. I play 2/4 headsup now, but am fairly certain I'll manage to get to 10/20 before my degree is finished. Then I'll move to Barcelona and spend a year grinding it up there, in addition to taking Spanish lessons. This way it won't look bad on my resumé and I'll get to experience a new culture and learn another language.

If this goes well, I hope to switch countries and do another year of grinding in either Italy or Germany and learn that language as well. I'll try to keep this up for a couple of years while grinding up enough money to get good capital started for investing.

I think it's important to do it this way; I don't want to rot away in some apartment in Norway and [censored] up my resumé by having "empty years in it".

As for the OP, I think you need a larger samplesize, and that you need to give it more time before you make your decision to go pro, but I wish you a lot of luck and hope you make it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2007, 03:12 PM

Balancing school and poker is tough. Thing holding me back from going pro, I would probably become more alienated and lose a lot of important social interaction. It does frustrate me that dumber people are doing better then me in school. I am still doing okay, but I realize a mediocre 3.0-3.5 gpa, from a [censored] university is never going to land me anything ideal in the future.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 PM

I really believe that self-discipline in all aspects of your life is critical to success as a poker player. If people are returning to school in order to artificially force a social life, I think this is a road to eventual failure.

Be pro-active in your attempts to broaden and diversify your life. Go out with friends, go to dinners, spend some of your poker money on enjoying life (not frivolously) so that you create a real link in your mind to poker discipline/success and positive real life experiences.

Find a hobby that allows you to interract with people, be out of the house, and ideally has alot of adrenaline/seratonin release - for me that's racecar driving [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

That's my $0.02 after a number of years of being involved in the poker world.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM

I really think the sample size issue that always comes up is somewhat trivial. 30-50K hands is enough of a sample to evaluate your style of play and it's pros/cons=> which is what you always try to improve upon

That 100k<<< benchmark is more useful in determining staying power (i.e. playing professionally/primary source of income).

Playing 6-12 tables is great if you can do it, but it will inevitably hurt your ability to improve/develop whereas 2-3 tabling and concentrating may improve LT skill development.

OP if you analyze your play routinely, and avoid chasing losses, read 2+2 posts (worthy ones), adjust your stakes as your BR as it +/- , you'll be fine (not groundbreaking advice obv, but easier said than done).

Sure I have like 10 posts, lol, but take it FWIW.
Old 11-29-2007, 03:42 PM

What are you doing for health insurance or do you live somewhere that the gov provides it?