Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Traffic from SoCal to LV this weekend?

Just wondering if any 2+2ers have made the trip from SoCal to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving Weekend. I live in San Diego, and generally don't mind the drive, as long as traffic is tolerable. That said, I'm really unsure of how busy Hwy 15 will be tomorrow afternoon/evening. Would I be better off leaving Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday evening, or perhaps early Thanksgiving morning? (The rooms are comped, so that's not a factor)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Traffic from SoCal to LV this weekend?

Hard to say about leaving Wednesday because on one hand it's a getaway day, but on the other hand many people have already gotten an early start with their travel. I think you'll have smooth sailing anytime on Thursday. It's Sunday I'd watch out for. Come back Monday if you can.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:02 PM

Thanks for the input. Might there be any sort of website that would have some traffic info for that stretch of 15?
Old 11-20-2007, 09:36 PM

did you try sigalert.com ?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:33 PM

If I were making this trip, I would probably leave late Wednesday night(like 11pm late, obv not ideal for staying awake though) or anytime Thursday. Avoid coming back Sunday like the plague. I know one person that claimed it took them 10 hours to get back to L.A. after All-Star Weekend. I dunno how many stops they made on the way though.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know one person that claimed it took them 10 hours to get back to L.A. after All-Star Weekend. I dunno how many stops they made on the way though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a couple thousand. >rimshot<

There's nothing quite like getting 3 miles out of Las Vegas and coming to a screeching halt in bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go, and knowing you have 522 more miles to go.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:27 AM

Question not specifically for this weekend but for an average weekend in general:

How's the traffic going from LV to LA if one were to leave LV for LA on Thu or Fri and return on Sun?

Is it the same as LA to LV, or would I be laughing at all the suckers in stop-n-go while I fly along the other side on relatively empty highway?
Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
QHow's the traffic going from LV to LA if one were to leave LV for LA on Thu or Fri and return on Sun?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've done this the last two years. smooth sailing going south (once you get past the normal clusterfucks like 215 and that first big grade out of the valley). coming back, tejon pass and the (other) 215 merge can be sucky. overall, it's fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:00 AM

That's the trick to making all Vegas travel go smoothly...go against the grain. Everybody else comes to Vegas on Friday or Saturday and leaves on Sunday. So you do the opposite...leave town on Friday or Saturday and come back Sunday through Wednesday. Works well at the airport.

Going with the flow means freeway parking lots and 2 hour cab lines and 45 minute security lines.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just wondering if any 2+2ers have made the trip from SoCal to Las Vegas over Thanksgiving Weekend. I live in San Diego, and generally don't mind the drive, as long as traffic is tolerable. That said, I'm really unsure of how busy Hwy 15 will be tomorrow afternoon/evening. Would I be better off leaving Wednesday afternoon, Wednesday evening, or perhaps early Thanksgiving morning? (The rooms are comped, so that's not a factor)

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely recommend leaving San Diego after 9pm, traffic will still probably be bad to the Cajon Pass but after that it should clear up a little bit.