Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 PM

Default $11- Two hands with Mad villain, fold with more/call with less

Any suggestions for the following hands. First hand villain hadn't started doing anything out of order, I had him pegged as a tricky/risky player who liked to chase draws. I think he was about 50/10 at the first hand. The bet I make on the river was intended to stop him bluffing, although I'm not sure it worked.

Second hand, if he makes a reasonable bet I'm probably folding.

Seat 1 - UTG+1 ($4795 in chips)
Seat 3 - Villain ($1860 in chips)
Seat 4 - CO ($1375 in chips)
Seat 5 - Button ($1735 in chips)
Seat 6 - Small Blind ($1125 in chips)
Seat 8 - Hero ($1535 in chips)
Seat 9 - UTG ($1075 in chips)
Small Blind - Posts small blind $15
Hero - Posts big blind $30
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
UTG - Calls $30
UTG+1 - Folds
Villain - Calls $30
CO - Folds
Button - Folds
Small Blind - Calls $15
Hero - Checks
*** FLOP *** [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] Pot $120
Small Blind - Checks
Hero - Bets $100
UTG - Folds
Villain - Calls $100
Small Blind - Folds
*** TURN *** [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] Pot $320
Hero - Bets $240
Villain - Calls $240
*** RIVER *** [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] Pot $800
Hero - Bets $120
Villain - Raises $400 to $400
Hero - Folds

Seat 1 - UTG+1 ($4350 in chips)
Seat 3 - Villain ($3180 in chips)
Seat 4 - CO ($1300 in chips)
Seat 5 - Button ($1735 in chips)
Seat 6 - SB ($1045 in chips)
Seat 8 - Hero ($1020 in chips)
Seat 9 - UTG ($870 in chips)
SB - Posts small blind $25
Hero - Posts big blind $50
*** POCKET CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
UTG - Folds
UTG+1 - Folds
Villain - Calls $50
CO - Folds
Button - Folds
SB - Calls $25
Hero - Checks
*** FLOP *** [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] Pot $150
SB - Checks
Hero - Bets $80
Villain - Calls $80
SB - Folds
*** TURN *** [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]]Pot $310
Hero - Bets $100
Villain - Calls $100
*** RIVER *** [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]] [5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] Pot $510
Hero - Checks
Villain - Bets $790
Hero - All-In $790
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: $11- Two hands with Mad villain, fold with more/call with less

I hate hate hate the first hand. First of all, the blocking bet is almost always a bad idea. Don't use it. I check/call this river vs. a tricky player, because he will bet into me lots when i check. If you think he's a tricky player, you absolutely have to call his reraise as played, you are getting a bajillion to one odds with a decent hand and a tricky villian.

I'm not sure about the second hand, but i don't like getting it in with 3rd pair on that board. I'd want some pot control being OOP with 2nd pair, so i might c/c the flop and reevaluate the turn.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:54 PM

First hand is butchered really, pf is fine, flop lead is fine, but turn you have to bet a lot closer to pot im thinking at least 280, on the river either c/c call there or b/f if you think he has a set but honestly in a 11$ sng vs a maniac im b/c an AI on the first hand. Second hand, i dont bet that flop ever really, in a limped pf pot and you flop mid pair oop you might be able to bet your open ender on the turn but im very likely to just c/f river if we take that line.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:06 PM

First hand: bet more post flop plan to get the money in.

Second Hand: um....what? Don't overplay 2P2K in a sng ever.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:49 AM

Hand 1, I would full pot flop, full pot turn, check/call river. Your hand is massive until the river, you want to make the pot bigger and charge draws full price. On the river its less likely hands you beat will call your bet, you get raised by hands that beat you, but hands that you beat may fire when you check. Why? Norman Chad 'he shows weakness with that check' or 'theo nly way he wins htis pot is if he bets, Lon'

Hand 2- I would never lead this flop , probably ck/fold unless he minbets or something stupid. Turn I would check/call a v small bet, river depends on how the rest of the hand played out, as you played it though I would definitely muck? Your only value here is from busted spades bluffing (ps your bets gave him the odds to draw to w/e if he was indeed drawing, but I dont like betting in the first place)
Old 11-16-2007, 04:43 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, your comments are much appreciated.

The one problem I have is with the first hand still. If we bet pot on the flop and turn and end up with a possible flush complete on the river - do we c/c if the villain shoves? What if the villain bets around 500, if we call then we leave ourselves with a stack of 500 if we lose the showdown. If the draw misses the end and the villain checks behind us, or folds to our bet then we gain 570 chips from what we started the hand with.

Does anyone think overbetting the turn is a good idea against people who call without the correct pot odds? I see it so often at this level where players call big bets to the river, to then fold to a minimum bet when their draw misses.