Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: 10NL - Defending blinds with low PP... Too aggro?

This turn is serious spew, there's so many one pair flush draw combos that simply will NOT fold.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:22 PM

Why not just call PF OOP?
Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 PM

I love the 3-bet. The 3-bet range for a lot of 10NLers is the same as their 4-bet range. The button folds preflop a lot here.

On the turn, your options are pretty much check or push. Unless he's slowplaying a monster, the villain can't think he's good here.

nh!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM

I don't want to come across as being argumentative, but I'm just looking for some clarification on some points. Everyone seems to agree that flop is fine but that the turn is questionable, so I think that more turn discussion would be very instructive.

[ QUOTE ]
This turn is serious spew, there's so many one pair flush draw combos that simply will NOT fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert hand reader, but I'm fairly certain he's pairless. Also, doesn't an aggro player raise flop with such a hand? But what about a better pair with no FD? I can't see how he can call the flop with that holding, so there's value in making him fold it.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little nervous when the ultra aggressive guy just calls the flop bet, but really we don't know how he plays, so it's not that huge of a deal. However, you're so likely to be behind when he calls the turn, that I would just check. I'd call a bet from him since he'll bet with a wide range, but I don't think a free card here is terrible, either, if he decides to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't you give a free card? First of all, since you've noted that he's ultra aggressive, you are probably not giving the best card, and anyway, his betting range is probably wider than his calling range.

[/ QUOTE ]

The aversion to the free card is that I won't know if it beat me or not, making the river harder to play. I see your point about his betting range being larger than his calling range, but are you advocating a smooth call or CRAI? If I call a turn bet the pot's so large relative to stacks I think I call any river, so why not get it in while I'm probably ahead of his range and have outs if I'm not?

I suppose the main reason that I did as I did was that betting the pot put 1/3 of my stack in the pot, and a major point of PNL is that it's generally bad to put more than a third in and folding. So on the flop (given my read) I committed to my hand with my bet and the turn didn't give me new info that would convince me to give up, so is it not better to be the bettor?

Thanks to all for their input. Sorry to try to drum up more attention, but I think there's still some untapped value to the hand.

EDIT: Might there also be some meta-game value here? My standard lines are much less aggressive, so setting up a fast table image makes my bread and butter more profitable, yeah?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 PM

Well played, I like it.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:38 PM

well played, good turn push. Turn gives you 14 outs vs a set, and he rarely has a set here.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:10 PM

I think you played it well but I also think you got lucky. On the turn your hand has so much equity against so many hands. Most of the time you are looking at a board on the turn like QT37 with two clubs or something and you just hate poker, where if you are behind you are drawing to two outs, and you are often behind, and if you are ahead your opponent often has a gazillion outs.