Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Default 25NL - AA on a draw heavy board

My first hand at the table

Party Poker - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.10/$0.25 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $40.22
Hero (BB): $25.00
UTG: $20.45
MP: $14.12
CO: $47.26
BTN: $34.88

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG calls $0.25, MP calls $0.25, CO calls $0.25, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.50</font>, UTG calls $1.25, MP folds, CO calls $1.25

Flop: ($4.85) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $4.00</font>, UTG calls $4.00, CO folds

Turn: ($12.85) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)

Villain has only 14.95 left. Is pushing ok here?
Old 10-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Re: 25NL - AA on a draw heavy board

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has only 14.95 left. Is pushing ok here?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems fine to me.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Pushing is OK, I think value betting is far better. At this point I'd put in a bet of $8. Now think of this from the other players perspective.

A.) If he's on the flush draw then your offering him 2.75 - 1 odds to call, while he's a 4 - 1 underdog to make that hand on the river, so a call by him would be a mistake, but enticing. Even with the implied odds of the rest of your stack, he still doesn't have a profitable call.

2.) There are also a small minority of people who might take an $8 bet as a second barrel of a bluff and call it. It does have a hint of weakness to it.

3.) If he was playing A2, or had a set, you're already beat, so at least you have a chance to decide whether you want to put in the rest of your stack. You almost have to anyway, but at least you can think about it for a second.

Lastly, remember that you're trying to get your opponent to make a mistake, not just take down pots. Pushing all-in here probably closes out those draws while still allowing the monster hands to get your stack. Don't bet in a way that forces your opponent to play his hand correctly.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:08 PM

"UTG calls $0.25" i think that gives away his hand. A push here would be the worst thing you could do, I would check before i push but i think a bet would be best.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"UTG calls $0.25" i think that gives away his hand. A push here would be the worst thing you could do, I would check before i push.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that "UTG calls $0.25", then calls the raise puts the villain on anything other than the low pocket pair, or flush draw, which has been the thinking all along.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:14 PM

I like a push. Youll get called by ridiculous hands alot.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"UTG calls $0.25" i think that gives away his hand. A push here would be the worst thing you could do, I would check before i push.

[/ QUOTE ]

roflmints

People limp all kinds of crap at this level. I am never going to risk a free card in this spot. This is a terrible spot to CRAI, both because of the plethora of available draws and the lack of a read suggesting villian is likely to bet in the first place.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:43 PM

Why push? You aren't going to have any problems getting the chips in and you don't want to risk scaring him off. You want him to call with his FD (or T) so just bet enough to make it a bad call that he feels he has to make.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why push? You aren't going to have any problems getting the chips in and you don't want to risk scaring him off. You want him to call with his FD (or T) so just bet enough to make it a bad call that he feels he has to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

If villain is going to make a "bad" call for $8 he would make the same "bad" call for $14...Very few if any villains will this not be the case...At this level villain will glady CALL off there stack on a FD and vs this type of villain you will not get that extra $6 when the FD misses but villain will get that $6 when he hits the draw..
Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM

I disagree that it's standard for a villain at this level to go AI on the Turn with a draw. Flop yes, Turn no. With reads, sure, push away but the standard NL25 30/10 donk is folding to a push quite often without a hand that we beat.

If it's possible that we can add an overpair to his range then a push would be fine (probably best) but without reads we should just play it simple and value bet.