Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I Bet or Check the river?
Bet 26 92.86%
Check 2 7.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 PM

Default High stakes bet, Durr vs Raptor

ok, so, we are grilling out and making margaritas etc etc etc and somehow the topic of the tomato comes up. now, this is a very delicate subject because durrr LOVESSSS his tomatoes. anyways, exchanges are made, [censored] is talked, and finally, 4 shots are settled upon. it is up to you HSNL, what is the correct answer? WHAT IS A TOMATO GODAMNIT?!?!?!?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Re: High stakes bet, Durr vs Raptor

Botanically, a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant: a fruit or, more precisely, a berry. However, the tomato is not as sweet as those foodstuffs usually called fruits and, from a culinary standpoint, it is typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, as are vegetables, rather than at dessert, as are fruits. As noted above, the term "vegetable" has no botanical meaning and is purely a culinary term.

This argument has had legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws that imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled the controversy in 1893 by declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, based on the popular definition that classifies vegetables by use, that they are generally served with dinner and not dessert (Nix v. Hedden (149 U.S. 304)). The holding of the case applies only to the interpretation of the Tariff Act of March 3, 1883, and the court did not purport to reclassify the tomato for botanical or other purposes other than paying a tax under a tariff act.

The tomato has been designated the state vegetable of New Jersey. Arkansas took both sides by declaring the "South Arkansas Vine Ripe Pink Tomato" to be both the state fruit and the state vegetable in the same law, citing both its botanical and culinary classifications. In 2006, the Ohio House of Representatives passed a law that would have declared the tomato to be the official state fruit, but the bill died when the Ohio Senate failed to act on it. Tomato juice has been the official beverage of Ohio since 1965. A.W. Livingston, of Reynoldsburg, Ohio played a large part in popularizing the tomato in the late 1800's.

But due to the scientific definition of a fruit, the tomato remains a fruit when not dealing with US tariffs. Nor is it the only culinary vegetable that is a botanical fruit: eggplants, cucumbers, and squashes of all kinds (such as zucchini and pumpkins) share the same ambiguity.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM

Does the prop have to do with how MSNL will answer?

I know but don't want to ruin it.

please come through for me HSNL.

hmmmmmmm

the real question is: is durrr a vegetable (because he is retarded) or a fruit (because he loves men)?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol gl sir.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
hahahahaha.

Raptor,

Please tell me Durrr gave you odds also.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 AM

Botanically, a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant: a fruit or, more precisely, a berry. However, the tomato is not as sweet as those foodstuffs usually called fruits and, from a culinary standpoint, it is typically served as part of a salad or main course of a meal, as are vegetables, rather than at dessert, as are fruits. As noted above, the term "vegetable" has no botanical meaning and is purely a culinary term.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:03 AM

I had a similar bet awhile back, this might help. We called it a draw cause we didn' specify if we were talking about the botanical or culinary term.

Wiki Fruit

Many foods are botanically fruit but are treated as vegetables in cooking. These include cucurbits (e.g., squash, pumpkin, and cucumber), tomato, peas, beans, corn, eggplant, and sweet pepper, spices, such as allspice and chillies.[2]

Guess this [censored] was covered in detail before I clicked post YAY
Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the prop have to do with how MSNL will answer?

I know but don't want to ruin it.

[/ QUOTE ]

'post what you know' -durrrr