Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-20-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Rock Band

I don't play any instrument and drums are hard as hell for me. I can't pass medium so starting with easy and it's pretty straight forward to get the beat down. Sometimes I do want to throw down more notes than there are on the screen. The pedal is what kills me every time.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:39 PM

I only played 1 song with the mic on easy and it was easy to pass the song. Just hit the note and correct breaks and I passed. The game was pretty forgiving since I'm pretty sure I wasn't "AWESOME!" on a lot of the phrases.

In the tutorial it also said that if there's a high note you can't hit, just lower it one octave.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah the bass is boring, even on expert. the bass in most popular rock songs is a complete joke anyway, which is sad because the bass is such a sick instrument.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it there are no primus songs?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:47 AM

I got it and think the guitar is boring and way too easy. Does it get harder?
Old 11-21-2007, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I got it and think the guitar is boring and way too easy. Does it get harder?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope
Old 11-21-2007, 03:14 AM

guitar is kinda easy but the last two tiers are epic. green grass and high tides just schooled me. Barely 5*'d it. Think Freebird without the slow part.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:17 AM

Yeah just got through playing this with 3 friends for 5 hours straight. Yeah the guitar might be easy, but it was so much fun playing in a group I didn't care at all.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:48 AM

Thoughts:
+ Playing drums is awesome.
+ Band mode and the touring system is way, way cool. Much more cool than the single player "tier" levels.
- The drums are just insanely noisy. There's no way I'll ever be able to play this while anyone else is in the house...which means I'll pretty much never play it. You need a room with a door that closes...that's carpeted or has some other way to help deaden the sound.
- Because the drums are noisy, you can't hear the actual drum line from the song very well. Unlike the guitar, where the "clicking" was relatively quiet compared the volume of the music.
- Wish I hadn't played GH3. The guitar lines seem dull in Rock Band by comparison. If I'd just played GH2, they would have seemed fine.
- REALLY wish I hadn't played GH3. The uber-relaxed note timing killed my technique (GH2 and GH1 were tighter). Rock Band is much tighter.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 PM

This game is AWESOME!

I rocked out til about 1am last night with 3 local friends. We cruised through a couple of the cities.

If you live in an apartment, this game is not for you. We tried it at my friends apartment originally, then moved to my house after a while, because it gets pretty loud.

Guitar: I hate the solo buttons. My fingers may be too big for them. I may be using it wrong, but I don't think so. I also hate the top fret buttons. I'm used to the ridges in my old GH guitars. I noticed that when I go for the orange note, my fingers will move down so that my ring finger is on the orange, and pinky is on the fret board. As with the GH3 guitar, this will take some time to get used to.

Drums: Oh man! My brother is a drummer, and was able to hop into Hard/Expert right away. Some of the passages are pretty tough. I almost wish that these drums weren't all "binded" together, and that I could set them up to a position that is more comfortable. It's awkward at times, so that will take some getting used to. I managed to do an OK job at medium.

Singing: At first I thought my microphone didn't work. But then I read the directions, and realized I'm a dumbass. After we got it working, it was pretty fun, and makes this the whole "Rock Band" experience, imo. As long as you realize that you look like a fool, and your friends do too, you can let yourself go and hit some of these notes/passages. We only experimented on Medium with the singing last night. The game really makes you work toward hitting the right pitches/key. You also have to sound out everything like it appears on screen to get a good score.

Things I'm still unclear on:
- How do you activate Overdrive? Does that just work when everyone has reached the top of the left meter? Is there any way we can activate it individually?
- Online multiplayer. How is this working? I tried to get our whole band online last night through my Xbox Live Guest accounts, but when I attempted to bring them all online with me, I was the only one able to get on. Is there a way that I can actually bring on all 4 of us at a time to battle it out with other bands?

Other dislikes:
- The notes on the fret board are too small. I really wish they would have conformed to the GH standards. These thin rectangles are no good.
- I am having a hard time with the HO/PO. Does it exist in this game? There seems like a few good spots to do it, but it doesn't want to work. It's like I have to go back to strumming every individual note (and now that I know how to HOPO properly, I don't want to do that).
Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 PM

i only figured out how to activate overdrive on the guitar, and you do that by shaking the guitar, the same way you save a player. couldn't figure it out on drums or mic though.

i never played any guitar hero, so i'm terrible/a spaz and have a hard time with medium on the guitar so far. i'm getting better though