Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Re: BEAT: Mexicans in Canada

[ QUOTE ]
Still don't get what the significance of the guy being Mexican is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just Durrrr's attempt at being descriptive. Why is everyone making a big deal outta this?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was just Durrrr's attempt at being descriptive. Why is everyone making a big deal outta this?

[/ QUOTE ]

i feel like i was way more derogatory wrt canadians than mexicans in this thread... who knows though. Anyone who got offended by anything i said needs to leave the house more.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Big Slice was the [censored]. Best pizza I've had in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? theres better pizza in texas...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
they usually start more [censored] over little stuff IME...
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
beat: i got slap/punched by a rando mexican while trying to make sure a friend of a friend didnt get in trouble w/ the cops

beat: cops let rando mexican get away
beat: we didnt get to beat up rando mexican b/c there were tonsa cops
beat: i didnt meet too many hot canadian chicks tonight b/c i was busy getting slap-punched by rando mexicans
beat: pizza here sucks

BRAG: ETA to USA = 12hrs

[/ QUOTE ]

Language is not something that can be “reclaimed” at will by a handful of individuals to mean just what they want it to mean at any particular moment. Language doesn't stand outside the society within which it exists. “Chick” and “baby”, for example, are derogatory words when used for women because their specific definitions are something other than intelligent, mature, full human beings.

Lisa Macdonald pointed out in her article on the subject (GLW #268) that language reflects rather than shapes reality. But the reason the women's movement struggles against sexist language is that language also reinforces reality.

Sexist language arises because we live in a society in which women are seen as inferior, as not deserving the same rights as men and as primarily useful in the roles of mother, wife and sex object. Mainstream language in such a society is inevitably going to be sexist.

Earlier generations of feminists fought hard for the adoption of non-sexist language in educational institutions, workplaces and government. This ideological battle was coupled with the fight for concrete reforms such as making sex discrimination and harassment illegal.

The Liberal government's instruction to public servants late last year to go back to using “chairman” instead of “chairperson” when drafting legislation reflects this government's ideological drive to assert that women are no longer oppressed, thereby paving the way for attacks on child-care and welfare funding, women's access to education and decent wages and conditions in those areas where women workers are concentrated.

Continuing to resist sexist language is important, but the only way to succeed is to build a large, active women's movement that can tackle the social structures underlying women's second class status.

That said, language is not static; it does change. Those feminists who now talk about reclaiming language often refer back to the gay liberation movement in the 1960s and '70s, which began to adopt words of derision like “dyke” and “poof”.

Along with a campaign of consciousness-raising, lesbians and gay men were encouraged to use these words with pride. but also to reaffirm that homosexuals are still oppressed. Their use of them was thus a challenge to society and was one aspect of an active campaign for recognition and rights.

Likewise, the black rights movement in the US has (and still does) used the word “[censored]” in ways that underscore the idea that it is a derogatory word, a product of widespread racism and bigotry in society. In using it (such as by the Afro-American band [censored] With Attitude), they bring attention to and condemn the persistent racism in the US.

In contrast, those feminists who use the words “chick” and “babe” today are not doing so to highlight the fact that women are still oppressed. Rather, they are using them to declare their supposed liberation -- the conquering of traditionally male-dominated areas by “net or cyber chicks”, for example.

In fact, the use of these derogatory words for women in a context where women are still oppressed only feeds into the traditional stereotypes and does nothing to challenge women's inequality.

While the focus in the struggle against sexism must be on rebuilding a mass women's movement to fight against all forms of sex discrimination and oppression, rather than simply on changing language, women's liberationists (male and female) do need to be constantly aware, and explaining to others, that the current social context makes these words sexist.

Especially in the context of the backlash against women's rights that is under way and the probability, therefore, that sexist language will become more “normal” again, we need to be very aware of the social and political content of the terms we use. This is particularly important because sexist language obstructs the participation of women in the movement to eliminate the source of women's oppression -- the same profits-before-people system that oppresses blacks, migrants and the poor.

Until women do achieve their liberation, if someone calls women “chicks” around me, they'd better be prepared for a polite, but firm, rebuttal.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:00 AM

sexist bastard. ban.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big Slice was the [censored]. Best pizza I've had in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? theres better pizza in texas...

[/ QUOTE ]

big slice sucks...i only ever ate there while waiting for 'novelty id cards'.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM

wow. how many pots of coffee have you had this morning?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow. how many pots of boiling hot oats have you had this morning?

[/ QUOTE ] FYP
Closed Thread