Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM

Default Re: Play though a hand with me here....

I think this is to loose of a play with that many people to act behind you. While it's one thing to think they may percieve the min raise as dangerous, I think it's better to be on the safe side and fold.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM

While I would agree with the "safe side" late in a tourney when one mistake could mean your tourney is over, why is it better to be on the safe side early in a tourney/against a large stack/when you are above the average chip count?
Old 03-07-2006, 07:19 AM

Well for the record, you never stated that the opp. was a deep stack. Second I would be more apt. to call in later pos. Third I think another thing that most people don't think about is getting caught in the middle of two players. That usually puts you in a tough spot as well.

What I'm saying is this-For this play to really work out you have to have a couple things work out perfectly-#1 no one must reraise you from behind #2-You must flop two pair #3-You must be sure that if you do flop two pair you can at least get half his stack or a decent portion.

So with those reasons alone I fold the 45 of diamonds. Now say if he min raises from utg and I'm in LP I'd be more apt to call. This way I pretty much close out the action except for the blinds and I have position on the opp.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well for the record, you never stated that the opp. was a deep stack. Second I would be more apt. to call in later pos. Third I think another thing that most people don't think about is getting caught in the middle of two players. That usually puts you in a tough spot as well.

What I'm saying is this-For this play to really work out you have to have a couple things work out perfectly-#1 no one must reraise you from behind #2-You must flop two pair #3-You must be sure that if you do flop two pair you can at least get half his stack or a decent portion.

So with those reasons alone I fold the 45 of diamonds. Now say if he min raises from utg and I'm in LP I'd be more apt to call. This way I pretty much close out the action except for the blinds and I have position on the opp.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for not being clear that he is a big stack...but he is. He won two big pots slowplaying monsters and he has won a bunch of small pots too.

I agree that if I were likely to get raised behind me, then I must throw this hand away. But do you see why I feel as if a raise is unlikely? Not only does him small raise scare everyone, but my cold call in EP has to strike fear into them also!

Two pair is an option, but the straight can also be deceiving(A-2-3 would be best for me) and could get me someone's entire stack and don't underestimate that I still can get paid off a little bit on a flush, although probably not someone's entire stack.

I guess what it basically boils down to is this: Early in a tourney when I'm slightly above average, I will take a situation that is marginally +/-EV if I think that I can perhaps win a huge pot that will make me a huge stack, as long as I know I can get away from it easily. Of course if I'm below average, then its harder to make this move.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:05 PM

Would I like 76s better? Sure. Do I hate it with 54s? Nope.

I think the resistance people are putting up to this stems in part to the differences between deep-stack poker and what most of us deal with on-line.

The point is that for under 3% of his stack, the hero can see a flop with a well-disguised hand that has enormous implied odds and very low reverse implied odds.

As I see it here's why:

If Hero is raised pre-flop (unless it is a complete donk raise), he folds with 97% of his stack. At this point t400 chips are worth slightly less than the half-melted ice in his drink.

If the flop misses, Hero check-folds, which is effectively the same as folding pre-flop.

If the flop clobbers Hero he can win a huge pot - implied odds.

And best of all, it would be very hard for the Hero to lose a large pot here. It's not like he's going to fall in love with his top pair only to get outkicked. Sure he could end up with a lower flush or straight (or straight-flush [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), but that is always the case with suited connectors.

So in short, there is a huge possible upside, and a very small possible downside.

I have to think he's going to flop a draw, and have to play cards on the flop, but that's what deepstack poker is about. (I hear.)
Old 03-07-2006, 06:16 PM

I don't think your cold call strikes fear in any typical MTT player.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:19 PM

The call is fine. Next part of the hand please.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 PM

why not? you need to explain this blanket statement imo.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:04 PM

I will not explain it, it's general enough. Just move onto the next hand, but I just don't like the call.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your cold call strikes fear in any typical MTT player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure that was his goal.