Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2007, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Reccomendations for reviewing hands after a session

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I haven't recovered enough from the big drop that I can afford my coach yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you cannot afford a coach

[/ QUOTE ]

Key word bolded from my quote. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When my bankroll was sitting at 3k, I didn't bat an eyelash taking a few sessions with cwar. Now that I'm sitting at $650, I've got just a little more work to do before I can afford him.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Think creatively...hell if i were you and i wanted to get better at poker i'd try to make a deal with some of the better players here in the forum LIKE offering them a cut of your profits, OR washing their car, OR painting their house etc etc.....

The best advice I can give an up and coming poker player like yourself is "Don't wait for somebody to tell you how to get better, figure it out yourself and do whatever it takes to become a poker baller."

In other words, be a republican, not a democrat Get industrious and you will succeed....bitch and whine and ask for a handout and whatnot and you will go nowhere.

Indy
Old 10-01-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The best advice I can give an up and coming poker player like yourself is "Don't wait for somebody to tell you how to get better, figure it out yourself and do whatever it takes to become a poker baller."

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm trying to do!

Just trying to get a handle on where to best focus my efforts. Sheesh.

And I tried that "take a cut of my profits" thing with cwar. He wouldn't bite. And frankly, the way I've been playing and running for the past 300 games or so (I'm still getting my fair share of coolers and beats, but now it doesn't feel like *EVERY DAMN GAME*), it would be a lot cheaper for me to save up for the $100/hr. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I'm trying to do!

Just trying to get a handle on where to best focus my efforts. Sheesh.

And I tried that "take a cut of my profits" thing with cwar. He wouldn't bite. And frankly, the way I've been playing and running for the past 300 games or so (I'm still getting my fair share of coolers and beats, but now it doesn't feel like *EVERY DAMN GAME*), it would be a lot cheaper for me to save up for the $100/hr. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

what you could also do is find a "friend" here and you guys review each others HHs....then you could put together a good list of questions from that and post them here.....or just get your friend to chop the costs of a coach and go in together on it....its not that hard really.

Indy
Old 10-01-2007, 08:03 PM

You know...

Everything I've said so far has meant to be in a friendly, jesting tone, which is why there's one of these [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] every other line.

But it's really starting to sound like you're beating up on me just a little bit, like maybe I'm too lazy to figure out how to improve on my own.

I'm not bitching, whining, looking for handouts, or trying to get anybody else to do my thinking for me. In fact, the original post here was me asking a very specific question, "where is my study effort going to be best spent", at which point somebody misinterpreted *why* I was asking, so I tried to explain as fully as possible.

I had already tried at least one of the things you implored me to "Think creatively" about as far as coaching goes (although, to be fair, I never considered offering physical labor), and to be frankly honest, where trading hand histories is concerned, I feel like there just aren't that many people who I would get anything useful from that would actually get anything useful from me, and vice-versa. And maybe I'm wrong on that point, but it just really seems like two players (or a group of players) would have to be pretty close in skill level and style for it to be much more than a purely social event.

As far as chopping coach costs goes, it didn't feel like I was that far off from being able to afford cwar's time again (I've only been in recovery for a week and a half, but if I hadn't donked so much at HUCASH, I'd probably be asking cwar for a session this coming weekend, and still might depending on how things go), but if you're still running a weekly coach chop, let me know, because I would still be interested in that. (The past couple times I asked you about it, the timing just didn't work out for me)

But seriously, I don't know where you got this idea that I'm not willing to put in the effort or time to improve anywhere in this thread, but either I'm massively misreading you, or you do seem to have that idea, and it's starting to sting just a little.

The original post in this thread wasn't "how do I get better", or "improve meh plz", it was "I'm going to be spending a fair amount of time reviewing my own hand histories, where are the best places to focus that effort?"
Old 10-01-2007, 08:20 PM

LOL I cannot believe you took that personal and I cannot believe u spent this much time writing this up....but i didnt mean it as an attack, I was trying to help u....that's my approach, brutal honesty...take it or leave it.

Best Wishes, Indy
Old 10-01-2007, 08:21 PM

It wasn't that much time.

I type fast.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:28 PM

Oh, and with quotes like these:

[ QUOTE ]
Think creatively...

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Don't wait for somebody to tell you how to get better, figure it out yourself and do whatever it takes to become a poker baller.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Get industrious and you will succeed....bitch and whine and ask for a handout and whatnot and you will go nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
its not that hard really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you at least understand why I might have started to take it a just a little bit personally? Especially when the original post should have clearly indicated that I was more than willing to "figure it out myself", and that further posts should have clearly indicated that I do recognize the value of coaching?

Or maybe I'm just being moody. That would be a first, wouldn't it?

Leader, please consider this thread as further evidence that I fully deserve the custom title "Forum Drama King".
Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 PM

Tnixon , are you in the mood to talk about standard deviation tonight ?
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM

Note:Tnixon, please no more math posts.

Reviewing sessions helps out a lot, even though I don't do it anymore because my computer doesn't save hand histories. When I did do it however, it worked. A lot of it is going through and asking questions such as:
"was it neccessary to raise the turn there when much of his range is bluffs?"
"Is that really a good vbet-am I really ahead more than 1/2 the time he calls?"
"Should I have raised there instead of calling?-there are so many cards that allow him to catch up and/or kill my action."
"What's the best way to counter this guy's strategy?"

The more you study, the more things come naturally. These days, because I can't go through histories, I learn by reading current posts and archives of 2+2. I probably read 2+2 just as much, if not more, than I play.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My coach and I tend to review our HHs in the POPOPOP replayer.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you review entire match histories for the most part? If you had the ability to easily pull out all the big pots for a night and throw them into one popopop replay session, would that be useful at all? Or do you lose too much without seeing how the rest of the match played out?

[ QUOTE ]
and then get your coach to make a video of his comments, while he watches your video (video within a video).

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I haven't recovered enough from the big drop that I can afford my coach yet.

It might be interesting to record a video of me 3-tabling the $50s for 30 minutes or so, just to see how disgusted he can get with some of my play. I wonder if I could actually manage to think outloud while 3 tabling, since I'm pretty sure my brain works much more quickly than my mouth, although you'd never guess that from the average length of my posts here. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It seems to be working, though. Either that, or I'm on an insane heater that rivals my evilbad run last month.

[/ QUOTE ]

You said you can't think outloud while 3 tabling? Me neither. But in order to make a video, you don't need to think outloud while you are playing. There is a little trick to that and I am surprised no one mentioned it and that no one uses that method. You shoot yourself playing and then you play the video in Winamp or whatever player you are using and shoot the video again and make a comment during that. Easier, right?