Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Default Re: The Official \"Tom Brady re-writes the record books in 2007\" Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but to answer the question, it doesn't really matter how long it takes, the record is the record, though obv breaking it in 14 games would be more impressive

people still talk about the Dolphins perfect season, and how a team would need to go 19-0 now to match it, which is longer, but I guess doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

A "record" is just a data point. We are all capable of thinking rationally about the data and drawing conclusions from it...if the RedBean has taught us nothing else, he's taught us that. If Peyton has 49 TDs in 15 games and doesnt play the last one because they've clinched, it doesnt make any sense to consider the guy who had 47 TDs through 15 games but played the last one any way and threw 5 TDs. I'm not saying Brady shouldnt have the record, just that it is an entirely different record. We dont know what Manning would have thrown and if Brady gets to like 52 in 16 games but only has 48 in 15, it is not obvious which is more impressive. But its probably Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

We also don't know how many he'd have had if the Colts chose to run up the score that year. Calling off the dogs when they were up 42-0 at half probably cost him a few.

The correct point is your first line. Brady should get the record for whatever he does in a 17 week season and everyone should think objectivly about who was "better".

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was trying to imply that I was more interested in what, you know, intelligent, unbiased people would feel about it. I obviously think he should get the record, I just dont look at records like they are the holy grail of sports knowledge. That seems to sort of be the simpleton approach. Brady deserves the record whenever he breaks it, if he does, but is it a more impressive feat?

I mean, there is a wide spectrum of accomplishment here. Peyton had 49 in basically 15 games. What if he had had like 7 TDs in one game or 12 TDs in 2 games? These are all different accomplishments. Which is more impressive, 49 in 15 or 52 in 16(but only 48 in 15)? Being great for a longer period, even if only one game, is important.

A lot obviously depends on the circumstances. If he has like 46 or 47 after week 15 and homefield throughout is sewn up, and he goes out and throws 4 TDs in 4 quarters of play in week 16, I think this will be an extremely interesting discussion. I'm just trying to think and talk about it beforehand to avoid cherry-picking and post hoc.