Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: ok HELL NO, P Crayton is an animal

Jack Youngblood, Defensive End, NFL

[ QUOTE ]

During his tenure, the Rams played in five NFC championship games and they advanced to Super Bowl XIV following the 1979 season. In a first-round playoff game that year, Youngblood suffered a fractured left fibula. However, he was fitted with a plastic brace and he played every defensive down in both the NFC title game and Super Bowl XIV against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

What most people probably remember about Youngblood is his playing in the Super Bowl with a fractured fibula. He was chop-blocked by two Cowboys offensive linemen in the NFC divisional playoffs that season (1979), and his fibula snapped "like a pencil." Youngblood had the trainers tape him up, and he went out and got a fourth-quarter sack on Cowboys QB Roger Staubach. "Got me a sack on a cracked leg," laughs Jack. "There may not be too many guys who can say that!"

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Steve Yzerman was the first to come to mind. He blew out his knee during the 2002 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and played the rest of the playoffs on one leg. The Red Wings ended up winning the Stanley Cup. Yzerman had surgery that kept him out half of the following year. badass.

i googled the yzerman injury to get the details straight. google came up with this link:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ain/index.html

#9 is pretty badass too:

9 Bobby Baun
Date: April 23, 1964
Situation: Stanley Cup finals, Game 6, Maple Leafs at Red Wings

Injury: Broken leg

Result: A Gordie Howe slap shot forced the Maple Leafs defenseman to be taken off the ice on a stretcher in the middle of the third period with the score 3-3. Bobby Baun had it taped and frozen, came back onto the ice and scored the game-winner in overtime to force a Game 7. Baun, who couldn't walk without crutches, came back in Game 7 as well to help Toronto capture the Cup with a 4-0 victory.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, to me when bones break through your skin, and you use your hand to catch the ball, it's pretty sick.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, he wasnt using his hand to catch any balls yesterday.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:15 PM

carl pavano once threw a game with a hangnail on his non-pitching hand
Old 09-17-2007, 12:22 PM

Kurt Angle won the 1996 Olympic Gold Medal in wrestling with a "broken freakin' neck."
Old 09-17-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He played a game with a broken leg in college as someone else pointed out. That's just sick. He had his o-line carry him. I guess a QB is the only guy who could possibly do it. He was in 1-AA at the time so I guess the d-lines weren't getting to him but I can't imagine anyone in the NFL doing something that stupid. They would get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marshall has been 1-A since 1997. Leftwich was not a I-AA QB. If I remember right it was a bowl game vs Louisville or the MAC champ game of 2002.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He played a game with a broken leg in college as someone else pointed out. That's just sick. He had his o-line carry him. I guess a QB is the only guy who could possibly do it. He was in 1-AA at the time so I guess the d-lines weren't getting to him but I can't imagine anyone in the NFL doing something that stupid. They would get killed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marshall has been 1-A since 1997. Leftwich was not a I-AA QB. If I remember right it was a bowl game vs Louisville or the MAC champ game of 2002.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was against Akron; Marshall still lost the game anyways.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, to me when bones break through your skin, and you use your hand to catch the ball, it's pretty sick.

[/ QUOTE ]
The thing is, he wasnt using his hand to catch any balls yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

He returned a huge punt with that same messed up finger. So I dunno...
Old 09-17-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was against Akron; Marshall still lost the game anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, they lost but he did drive them down the field, and that isn't really the point anyway.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As a safety for the St. Louis Cardinals, Larry Wilson helped his team defeat the Pittsburgh Steelers 21-17 on November 7, 1965. This win allowed the Cardinals to remain in contention for the league's Eastern Conference title.

Wilson set the tone of the game when, early in the first quarter, he burst through the Steelers' offensive line and batted down a Bill Nelson pass.

As the ball fell aimlessly toward the ground, Wilson scooped it out of mid-air and rambled 34 yards to the Pittsburgh 3. The Cardinals scored on the next play.

While big plays were nothing new for the Cardinals' All-Pro safety, what made this one different was that Wilson was playing with casts on both hands, having a week earlier sustained a broken left hand and a broken finger on his right hand.

[/ QUOTE ]