Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM

Default I suck at limit...

So I used to be awesome at live 3/6 limit holdem. I used to be a winning-break even player and could make a buy in last at least a few hours. Today I played and dropped $100 in about an hour. I went over to play NL and ended up winning $82 in around 2.5 hours. I have been playing a lot of 1/2 NL 100 Max, which I played today, and have been a winning player.

For some reason, I feel like it's hard for me to go back to limit. What are some good adjustments I could use for playing limit again?
Old 09-11-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Re: I suck at limit...

$100 really isn't that much for 3/6, it's about 16 big bets. That's just simply not enough of a stack to really show whether you "suck" or not.

The temptation in smaller stakes limit is that you chase draws when you really shouldn't be, which might be the case for you. The rule of thumb is to play tight and aggressive, especially in these lower limit games. Also, one hour of play really isn't a good indicator of whether you're a good or bad player.

That being said, obviously limit and NL are different games, and you may find that NL better suits you... but I would give limit another chance with the right approach, it can be profitable.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I used to be awesome at live 3/6 limit holdem

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing live, you have to consider that it might have been your opponents who were awful.

As far as being a winning player - you need to consider how many hands you've played. I'm sure that you've been playing and winning, but are you sure you're a winning player?

If you win at one game over a couple of hours and lose at another, you can't say you're better at one than another. Winning live players can often go many months without consistent profits and winning online players can have downstreaks and breakeven streaks that last 50K hands.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 PM

Problem with live limit, especially if you are an internet player or live NL player, is to play it well can be incredibly boring. At a 3/6 limit it can also be incredibly frustrating, if games at the Golden Nugget or Binions are anything to go by. You've had a taste of a more action based game and now you want to go back to a game where most of the time you will be sitting doing nothing, watching opponents or watching the surroundings. The answer is take a chill pill, bring some music, bring a friend because unless you at a particular table type there is no answer except play tight and expect to spend 50 minutes of each hour not in the game. At least not in an active sense.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 AM

i suspect you like action too much. you need to concentrate on winning and play hard at whatever game you are sitting in. they are all the same just different rules and betting.