Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 09:26 PM

Default HUSNG vs STT, hourly rate

Anybody have any stats they'd be willing to post (or even PM) comparing hourly rates of heads-up vs 9 or 10 person sit-n-gos over a significant amount of time played in each?

What I'm trying to figure out is this:

My overall ROI is higher on the STTs, but since I don't like turbos of either flavor, I obviously get more heads-up games in the same amount of time.

I like the lower variance on the heads-up tourneys, but I can't really handle more than 2 tables at a time, while I'm fairly sure I could easily handle 4 STTs at a time with only a small reduction in overall winrate.

What I'm not sure of (and I haven't played STTs heavily enough to have any relevant data of my own) is whether my overall hourly rate would be higher if I switched to playing 4 STTs at a time rather than 2 HU at a time.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm paying for the lower variance with an decrease in potential hourly earnings.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: HUSNG vs STT, hourly rate

I'd imagine with the same bankroll 2 HUSNGs should be more profitable than 4 STTs at a time as long as your relatively close in skill for both of those games. If you suck at HUSNG and are awesome at STT then it may be better for STT, but otherwise I believe HUSNG should be more profitable.

Sorry, don't have data, but the # of tables seems to definitely favor HUSNG there, if you could get in like 6+ STTs at a time then I think it would be closer. I may be way off though.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:33 PM

Do which ever you enjoy more, hence reducing tilt and life trauma.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you suck at HUSNG and are awesome at STT then it may be better for STT, but otherwise I believe HUSNG should be more profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't suck at HUSNG. At least, I don't think so, and my overall results for the past few months would tend to indicate that I'm doing pretty well, except for the past week and a half or so which has been pretty brutal, dropping 10 buyins and ending up a little short because I broke my own bankroll rules and didn't step down when I should have.

If you measure by ROI though (and I don't know how else you would measure), I'm better at the STTs, somewhere in the 3-5% ROI range. Of course, an 8% ROI is better than even a 16% ROI if you can invest more than twice as much at 8%. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, don't have data, but the # of tables seems to definitely favor HUSNG there, if you could get in like 6+ STTs at a time then I think it would be closer. I may be way off though.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my initial thought too, but without having enough data to look over, I'm having just a little bit of trouble believing that I can have my cake and eat it too, with the lower variance as well as the higher profit.

If it's too good to be true...well, you know. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

More than 4 STTs at a time might be pushing it, although to be fair, I've never tried. Of course, I haven't actually done 4 at a time on a regular basis either, but based on the times I've been running 2-3, I'm pretty sure 4 is doable.

[ QUOTE ]
Do which ever you enjoy more, hence reducing tilt and life trauma.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually enjoy them both enough that my preference is going to go with whichever I can make the best hourly rate with, but most of all I like building my bankroll, so I can take shots at bigger MTTs, which are my first love. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I dislike turbos of both flavors enough that I'm not willing to put myself through that for that extra hourly rate though.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I actually enjoy them both enough that my preference is going to go with whichever I can make the best hourly rate with, but most of all I like building my bankroll, so I can take shots at bigger MTTs, which are my first love. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you like both of them, I think you'll do best in the long run by mixing them up. That way you'll have the flexibility to play whichever you feel like at a given time, and you'll have two ways of thinking about your game instead of getting locked into one.

I would say play a lot of HUs, but try to get in at least 10+ STTs/week. That shouldn't be too hard multitabling.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:35 AM

hrmm... I think a few more factors need to be discussed, the key one being whats ur BR support for both? 30-50 buy ins for STT and only 20-30 for HU? like give me a figure so I can do some math out, cause if you can play much higher limits in HU then I think the answer is fairly obvious, but also the other key question, is when you four table STTs do you do them in "sets" or run 4 consistently, because that affects your hourly volume a huge amount...
Old 07-03-2007, 03:38 AM

Well, I'm comfortable playing slightly higher HU, but only cause I'm the dork that goes against conventional wisdom, and doesn't think you need 50 buyins for HU. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Until my bankroll gets quite a bit bigger and harder to replace via redeposit, I'd be pretty comfortable I'm comfortable playing 15-20 buyins at STTs, and 10-15 buyins HU. When it gets a little higher I'd probably want to stretch that to probably 25-30 and 15-20.

Which I guess goes quite a ways towards answering my question.

The way I've been playing for the most part is two heads-up and one STT at a time. It gets a little hairy if/when the STT gets down to 3, but I had quite a bit of success playing 3 heads-up games at a time when I was trying to earn way more full tilt points in one week than I normally get to qualify for a world series main event freeroll. I can do it, but it's very hectic, and pretty draining for me.

It's sounding like 2 and 1 might be a good way to keep going. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't trading sizable amounts of hourly rate for the lower variance of the HUSNGs, since I have quite a bit of ground to make up after spending so much trying to satellite into world series events. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you still want to do the math though, I'd be interested in seeing the results. I could figure it out myself if I wasn't so lazy, but I was sortof hoping for a shortcut "well, I play X STTs a week, and Y HUSNG, and my hourly rates on each are..." type response.

Yeah, I know. Fat chance, right? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 AM

i can't answer your question, but i think you might be overestimating the difference in variance. the number of players in full table stts is partially counterbalanced by the flat payout structure.

i also think that people who have played husng for a long time would probably put a 10 buyin downswing in more of a "mildly annoying" type category, as opposed to "brutal". i could be way off on that though.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 AM

A 10 buyin downswing isn't abnormal at all, I don't think. It shouldn't happen super-often, but given enough games, you're guaranteed to see a swing that big at some point.

But that's not what was "brutal" about it.

The brutal part was that it ate 3/4 of my bankroll, because not only did I not step down when I was supposed to, I actually pulled the classic retard tilt move, and stepped *up* a level for one game, trying to get lucky and win some of it back.

I've never been accused of being able to learn tough lessons the easy way. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Lol, yea definitely need to up your buyins if you can't move down and especially if you play up during a downswing.

Ten buyin swings are not bad themselves, it's how you react to them that seems to kill everybody.