Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: vB Infractions - Update

also, to add, i think being able to suspend or revoke a user's right to start threads in OOT would be a really, really useful option, since probably 95% of OOT bans are for crappy OPs
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks great. One point: This sounds like, no matter how good you post in the FullRing NoLimit Pineapple forum, if you googletard enough times in OOT, you'll get banned from all of 2+2. I don't think this is so awful, but we've definitely given good strat posters OOT exiles instead of bans. Is this going to automate that away?

[/ QUOTE ]

i definitely do not want to turn OOT into a strat-misfit holocaust so i am open to whatever will prevent something like this.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:29 PM

I'd make the auto bans shorter: maybe 1-2 days, 3-4, 7-10, permanent. We can always hand out longer bans if we want.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would switch minor infractions to 3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]
Or we could lower the expiry time to 3mo for minors.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM

I want to again stress that this is just a standardized base, although it is important to me that the site have at least a little more consistency with bans. Also, the entire idea of the infraction system is making things more standardized. It's almost useless if that's a big problem.

To get into a somewhat different matter, I don't really understand why we need to be banning people 3 days for 'googletarding'. It makes no sense to me. The idea behind OOT exiles is that poor content in OOT doesn't necessarily warrant a ban from the site, just the person not posting in OOT. The removal of the * system shouldn't have changed that. My thinking with OOT specifically is that we'll have an OOT point infraction. Just one point. The max level for an exile can be up to you guys, but I was thinking 3-5.

While the exile can't be automated within this system, it should be easier to keep track of it all. And this also provides just a little more incentive for members to be cool in there, as it could have a (minor) effect on their overall infraction level.

The 6 month expiration on points for a minor infraction is something I mulled over, but in the grand scheme of things I think that works out ok. I don't want the 5 point one to carry no weight at all.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting all the points working together is why I've kept things this simple to begin with. If you could elaborate on why 3 points would work better, it will certainly be considered.

The question of making the first ban shorter can also be debated. But again, if we're going to start exiling from all sorts of forums on an individual basis, site bans should definitely hold more weight. I should also point out again that you guys will be able to give a custom number of points unless we disable that feature.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting all the points are working together is why I've kept things this simple to begin with. If you could elaborate on why 3 points would work better, it will certainly be considered.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its best if the mods give our minor infractions frequently so the user base learns how to interact better. With 5 point infractions thats only 3x until a ban - much to harsh if we are giving out frequent infractions, with 3 point infractions its 5x - much better for small concerns.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:42 PM

ryan,

when we talked about getting rid of the * system, we all talked about going back to quietly temp-banning bad posters, astroglide recommended it as well, and you didn't have any objection. mat has been very supportive of the new direction of OOT. you have been pretty absent from the discussion, so i hate to say it but my reaction is kinda 'wtf.'

nobody is getting banned 3 days for a first offense.

i think it is working great. people actually take the time to find out what they did and why it was wrong, whereas before they would just argue when you sent them a PM and bitch about it in BBV. complaints have actually gone way DOWN since we started temp banning instead of *ing, and the number of repeat offenders has PLUMMETED.

anyway, this is why i think it would be a good idea to be able to revoke thread-starting privileges in OOT.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:43 PM

Mods already give out 3 day+ bans in many cases without ever warning. So getting three 5 point infractions before the first ban definitely seems way more conservative. Also don't forget about the warning option on the first two infractions that doesn't add points at all.

Using a smaller number of points seemed like the right way to go when I was first thinking about it. But the more I considered all the different ways this system would be used, the more it seemed clear that warnings and a 3 strike small infraction before the first ban would fit well.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyway, this is why i think it would be a good idea to be able to revoke thread-starting privileges in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no reason this can't be part of it.

[ QUOTE ]
when we talked about getting rid of the * system, we all talked about going back to quietly temp-banning bad posters, astroglide recommended it as well, and you didn't have any objection. mat has been very supportive of the new direction of OOT. you have been pretty absent from the discussion, so i hate to say it but my reaction is kinda 'wtf.'

[/ QUOTE ]

At the time I didn't realize you would be handing out 2-3 day bans to 5-8 posters a day for xtarding.