Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 01:49 PM

Default how to play this river?

just sat down and have only about 5 hands on villian, is this a c/c or a b/f? i probably shouldve stabbed at the flop...

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, Button checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, Button folds.

River: (3.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: how to play this river?

It's a relatively small pot, so I think I'd bet/fold, which I like a little better than check/call.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:11 PM

I would bet-call. It's an excellent bluffing board for missed draws.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would bet-call. It's an excellent bluffing board for missed draws.

[/ QUOTE ]

And ace high.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:54 PM

I actually don't think we should bet this flop.
Aaron, if we plan to call a raise expecting to beat a bluff on the river, why do we bet? Would it be really that bad if the river got checked trough? I've been thinking about this b/c river thing a bit lately and I don't understand it. It seems like b/c on the river when the board gets scary is maximizing the price we have to pay, while minimizing the chance of a bluff. This (I mean what I'm writing about) obviously is not a well worked out idea or concept, but it's really bugging me.
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM

I'd check/call the river
Old 04-23-2007, 03:56 PM

I think bet/call is fine. If your opponent wants to call down with a high cause he belives your bluffing we should let him.
if he's not a total retard he hardly has hit anything on the flop and why should we give him any credit for having a 4?
Old 04-23-2007, 04:01 PM

I'd fold preflop.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:03 PM

Mix Aaron's and Marquis opinions together for the equivilency of my commentary for the hand.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aaron, if we plan to call a raise expecting to beat a bluff on the river, why do we bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the river for value expecting to get called by ace-high, 5x, and medium pocket pairs that played like a wimp. I'm not betting because I expect to get raised.

However, since it did get raised, I call a raise because it's a beautiful bluffing board.

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be really that bad if the river got checked trough? I've been thinking about this b/c river thing a bit lately and I don't understand it. It seems like b/c on the river when the board gets scary is maximizing the price we have to pay, while minimizing the chance of a bluff. This (I mean what I'm writing about) obviously is not a well worked out idea or concept, but it's really bugging me.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's bad to get checked through if villain would have called a bet. But if villain was likely to fold to your bet, you're better off checking.

Reads matter. It's a small pot, so reads matter even more (because the difference in values between the plays is generally larger).