Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 01-27-2007, 07:07 PM

Default Re: Ways to improve the all star game.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The NHL is trying out mid-week because it can't compete with football at this time of year

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'll keep this in mind tomorrow when I'm watching tapes of last weeks NFL games.

Can a sports league be run any worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not all the NHL's fault is it? I mean certainly the fact that Hockey isn't that popular and there aren't many household names anymore has to have something to do with the financial woes.

Cody
Old 01-27-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The NHL is trying out mid-week because it can't compete with football at this time of year

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'll keep this in mind tomorrow when I'm watching tapes of last weeks NFL games.

Can a sports league be run any worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, nice job cutting up my post - did you actually read the whole thing? - All-Star ratings are miniscule, and the league doesn't want to lose a weekend's worth of gate receipts (and perhaps more) to a contest which is barely watched anyway.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 PM

All NHL ratings are minuscule. They way they can change that is to showcase their sport. Putting the all star game on this weekend when there is no NFL competition would give them the greatest chance to attract casual fans from other sports. If they're putting a weekends gate receipts ahead of growing the sport that is incredibly foolish and shortsighted. The NHL has dug themselves a massive hole, and they are barely on TV anymore. They should be trying much harder to showcase their young talent.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All NHL ratings are minuscule. They way they can change that is to showcase their sport. Putting the all star game on this weekend when there is no NFL competition would give them the greatest chance to attract casual fans from other sports. If they're putting a weekends gate receipts ahead of growing the sport that is incredibly foolish and shortsighted. The NHL has dug themselves a massive hole, and they are barely on TV anymore. They should be trying much harder to showcase their young talent.

[/ QUOTE ]

NHL has had weekend all star games every year since the late 80s, and it didn't work. The point of the OP was that all star games are what they are, and that leagues have to just let fans enjoy the games.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NHL has had weekend all star games every year since the late 80s, and it didn't work. The point of the OP was that all star games are what they are, and that leagues have to just let fans enjoy the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were usually competing with NFL or NBA All-Star Game or something else though.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They were usually competing with NFL or NBA All-Star Game or something else though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the time. They went up against the Superbowl one year. That's market research at it's finest.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:18 AM

I actually thought the All Star game was decent. Much better than I expected, in fact. Did you watch the Young Stars game? THAT WAS HORRIBLE!

At least in the All Star games, the players were skating and trying to play the game. I don't know how it could have been any better really (maybe if the Young Stars goalies played in the All Star game, they were actually trying it seemed whereas the only players not trying in the All Star game were the goalies). It's understandable though since you don't want to risk a injury on an insignificant save.

The Skills Competition was a disaster.... it wasn't ran well at all. The wrong cameras were being played, the announcers were talking about what they were going to have for dinner, and they couldn't even get the speed skating timed right (yeah, let's have McDonald win due to human error [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Overall, VERY pleased with All Star game, VERY disappointed with Skills Competition and Young Stars game.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually thought the All Star game was decent. Much better than I expected, in fact. Did you watch the Young Stars game? THAT WAS HORRIBLE!

At least in the All Star games, the players were skating and trying to play the game. I don't know how it could have been any better really (maybe if the Young Stars goalies played in the All Star game, they were actually trying it seemed whereas the only players not trying in the All Star game were the goalies). It's understandable though since you don't want to risk a injury on an insignificant save.

The Skills Competition was a disaster.... it wasn't ran well at all. The wrong cameras were being played, the announcers were talking about what they were going to have for dinner, and they couldn't even get the speed skating timed right (yeah, let's have McDonald win due to human error [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).

Overall, VERY pleased with All Star game, VERY disappointed with Skills Competition and Young Stars game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was very disappointed at the skills competition as well. It really sucked because that is usually my favourite part of the all star game (for the NBA too).
Old 01-30-2007, 04:42 AM

I think MLB should have a whiffle ball game during the all star break. I'd love to see what kind of absurd break some of the pitchers could put on the ball.