Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Re: POP QUIZ

Can't he have KJo?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on J7/J3/73.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can't he have KJo?

[/ QUOTE ]
why would he choose to shutout the loose passive players in a small pot with that hand?
Old 07-01-2006, 07:41 PM

One pair is still vulnerable to two-pair trip draws and gutshots - but I really do think he would have lead out with a strong Jack as you do. I still say J2o.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can't he have KJo?

[/ QUOTE ]
why would he choose to shutout the loose passive players in a small pot with that hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree, good point.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:31 PM

Default Re: QUIZ ANSWERS

1. Whats the pro's most likely hand? 5 people got this question right. Pokerbob,Vote4pedro,Caddy4life,DavidC, and Milesdyson. The pro's most likely hand is 7x. If youre one of the posters that said a Jack or seven, I would not except this answer, but I did except 7x or 3x, even though 3x is a remote possibility.

If the pro had Jx, twopair or a set, he would simply lead out in this small 4 handed pot and hope the fishys call him with their 2-6 outers in this small pot. If the pot was 6 or 7 handed then the chances the pro has Jx goes up tremendously cuz now going for a checkraise with Jx is probably the correct play since a bet will not protect his hand from many weak draws and with those extra people in the pot, someone is very likely to bet if the pro checks. In a small 4 handed pot, the pro would just bet out with Jx. If the pro had 3x, his most likely action on the flop would be to check/fold since bottom pair in a small pot is usually not worth fighting over. Also, if the pro had a FD, he would most likely just bet out hoping he gets 3 calls on the flop, wins the pot on the flop or gets only one call thus setting him up for a very profitable turn semi-bluff.

2. 3 people came the closest to figuring out the best strategy on the flop+turn given the nature of the pros hand. DavidC, Milesdyson, and brettbrettr.

Given my tight image, and the fact that the Pro's most likely hand is 7x, the correct strategy IMO is to call the flop and raise any non-spade, non-7 turn card. With just 7x, the pro simply cannot call me If I raise the turn in this relatively small pot, which is why raising most turn cards is correct. Ironically, If we hit our flush on the turn, we should just call becuz the pro is too likely to be drawing dead and hes too likely to fold if we raise. So If we hit our flush, the best strategy is to call the turn and hope the pro improves to 2 pair or trips on the river and will bet again and call our raise. If he doesnt improve on the river, he still may bet/fold or check/call which still gives us an extra bet vs raising the turn and watching him fold. If the turn is a 7, we should just call since if our read is right we will be getting 3 bet or called too often to make this semibluff raise profitable.

One more thing, Pokerbob and maybe others mentioned the idea of 3betting the flop and leading the turn. The reason why I dont like this idea is 3betting the flop bloats the pot, and the pro may play the hand more tenaciously since hes getting better odds to put us on a flushdraw. He may suspect that Im on a draw since if I had a hand I liked why wouldnt I call and raise the turn. Or he may check/call the turn and see if I'll bet the river. I dont want to tie the pro to the pot and have him get any fancy ideas.

If I was a teacher I would give a gold star to Milesdyson and DavidC since they came the closest to getting both questions right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In the actual hand, the pro checkraised me, and I called the flop. The turn was the Kd, the pro bet, I raised and he said "I know what ya got" and quickly folded. I was caught off guard by that statement so I just nodded my head and raked in the pot happy with the knowledge that I made the right read and I made the right play. The pro had a pair of sevens and I had 8-high, but the reality of this situation is, the pro was never going to win this pot unless he hit two-pair or trips on the turn becuz I knew exacly what he hand, and he had no idea what I had.

I would also like to add that image played an important role in this hand. If I had a loose aggressive image, the correct play wouldve been to 3bet the flop and check the turn for my free card. Since theres no way I can win the pot without hitting becuz he presumably will never fold a better hand, going for a free card becomes the best line.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:41 PM

Default Re: QUIZ ANSWERS

Very nice post.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:45 PM

This is super easy.

Call the flop check raise. Raise any card that is not a J or 7. This guy will fold at least 75% of the time.

He has J-dick, or 7-x here always. A 'good' player would not c/r the turn with two pair or a set.

If your image is tight, and you haven't made moves on this player before, he will be helpless to stop this play against him.

I mean, if he has K7 on a J7x board, and you bet call the flop, and a 2 slides off on the turn, and he bets, and you raise, he just can' tcall down.

To add, if you actually make a flush, DON'T raise the turn. I know I know, opposite world.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is super easy.

Call the flop check raise. Raise any card that is not a J or 7. This guy will fold at least 75% of the time.

He has J-dick, or 7-x here always. A 'good' player would not c/r the turn with two pair or a set.

If your image is tight, and you haven't made moves on this player before, he will be helpless to stop this play against him.

I mean, if he has K7 on a J7x board, and you bet call the flop, and a 2 slides off on the turn, and he bets, and you raise, he just can' tcall down.

To add, if you actually make a flush, DON'T raise the turn. I know I know, opposite world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey biatch I told you to stay out of this thread, cuz we already talked about this hand. How can I forget the subject line of the private message I sent you a few months ago so aptly titled, "Get The [censored] out of My Pot Bitch" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2006, 12:11 AM

Thanks, 929. Great read for me.