Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-24-2007, 02:40 AM

Default Re: No Country For Old Men

[ QUOTE ]

Yes..takes place in 70s.

[/ QUOTE ]

it takes place in exactly 1980. In the gas station scene he talks about how the 1958 quarter has been around for 22 years.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:33 AM

Great movie, great discussion. Not sure if we should still be whiting out spoilers this deep into a thread, but I will anyway just in case.
<font color="white">
I picked up on most of what has been talked about so far. I thought the boldest choice in the entire movie was not showing the "protagonist" finally meet his end in the hotel at the hand of the Mexicans. That took real balls by the Cohen brothers and I think it'll be the downfall of this movie with the general public. In my theater it seemed that I was the only person who liked the movie, with a couple people even shouting "I want my money back" to the screen during the credits.

The scene in the hotel room with Tommy Lee Jones confused me because I also don't know where Anton was. But unlike most of you in the thread, I thought the window latch was "locked" and that focusing on it was to heighten the suspense that he couldn't have slipped out the back and must still be in the room.

The one other thing that I haven't seen discussed yet is that there wasn't much money in the satchel that everyone is killing each other over. In the scene where he finds the transponder by flipping through the stacks of money, everything below the first layer is a $1 bill instead of $100. The tragedy of all that death over a much smaller amount of money may have been too obvious to generate much discussion, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it seemed my wife missed it.
</font>
Old 11-24-2007, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one other thing that I haven't seen discussed yet is that there wasn't much money in the satchel that everyone is killing each other over. In the scene where he finds the transponder by flipping through the stacks of money, everything below the first layer is a $1 bill instead of $100. The tragedy of all that death over a much smaller amount of money may have been too obvious to generate much discussion, but I thought I'd throw it out there since it seemed my wife missed it.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the assumption that all of the bills inside the satchel were $100's, except for the one stack of $1 bills which were cut in the middle to hide the locator that Anton was using.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was under the assumption that all of the bills inside the satchel were $100's, except for the one stack of $1 bills which were cut in the middle to hide the locator that Anton was using.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought he flipped through a couple other stacks that were like that, but I could be wrong. Darn, another excuse to go watch it again.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought he flipped through a couple other stacks that were like that, but I could be wrong. Darn, another excuse to go watch it again.

[/ QUOTE ]

He flipped through the top two stacks starting from the right until he got to the 4th stack from the end which had a bunch of ones and the transponder in between.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Great film

[ QUOTE ]
GTL what are your thoughts on this(taken from comments section on blog in regards to Jones final speech)

"One of the things I most love about the end of the film is the ambiguity of Tommy Lee Jones' final monologue. I'm not referring to the film suddenly ending and some not understanding the point the film is making. Instead, I'm referring to the final line of dialogue that Sheriff Ed Tom Bell tells his wife about his second dream.

"I continue to think long and hard about that final line. And I ask myself how I'm supposed to take that line coming from that man.

"Is the story of the second dream supposed to provide a ray of hope, a sense of eventual contentment of a full life lived to its fullest being finally rewarded? Or am I supposed to take the final line as an admission that this kind of hope has been completely, irrevocably taken away? That the good sheriff had that dream of a hopeful place there in the dark, a warm place made by his father waiting for him out there in all that dark and all that cold.

"And then I woke up".

"And that the events he's recently seen have removed any possibility of that hope coming to pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

This one's a bit complicated of course, and i don't feel like organizing my thoughts and writing the essay that would be necessary. I got choked up when I read it, and I got choked up when I watched it. To me, I think it represents something very positive and is a statement about a common life experience. We might all live in a brutal world, but it has always been this way. All the people that we respect are probably just as bad as us, and we should be hopeful because of this, not despondent.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GTL what are your thoughts on this(taken from comments section on blog in regards to Jones final speech)

"One of the things I most love about the end of the film is the ambiguity of Tommy Lee Jones' final monologue. I'm not referring to the film suddenly ending and some not understanding the point the film is making. Instead, I'm referring to the final line of dialogue that Sheriff Ed Tom Bell tells his wife about his second dream.

"I continue to think long and hard about that final line. And I ask myself how I'm supposed to take that line coming from that man.

"Is the story of the second dream supposed to provide a ray of hope, a sense of eventual contentment of a full life lived to its fullest being finally rewarded? Or am I supposed to take the final line as an admission that this kind of hope has been completely, irrevocably taken away? That the good sheriff had that dream of a hopeful place there in the dark, a warm place made by his father waiting for him out there in all that dark and all that cold.

"And then I woke up".

"And that the events he's recently seen have removed any possibility of that hope coming to pass?

[/ QUOTE ]

In the beginning of the movie, Jones' character says,

I always knew you had to be willing to die to even do this job - not to be glorious. But I don't want to push my
chips forward and go out and meet something I don't understand. You can say it's my job to fight it but
I don't know what it is anymore. ...More than that, I don't want to know. A man would have to put his soul at hazard. ... He would have to say, okay, I'll be part of this world.

When talking about his dream at the end of the movie, the warm place he refers to seems to be the world he has fancied himself a part of, the olden days when times were better. He does not want to be a part of the new cruel world that doesn't make sense to him, and tries to escape by retiring. However, his wheelchair bound friend tells him that times haven't changed that much by telling him a story of a bunch of outlaws killing a sheriff. In his dream, Jones' character wakes up and realizes that is a part of this new, cruel word not the warm and cozy days of yester year.

Edit: In the screenplay I just read, it says the final line is " Out there up ahead", not " And then I woke up."
Old 11-25-2007, 08:26 PM

me and silver have pretty different interpretations of the dream. i don't see anything wrong with his. there are probably a ton of perfectly reasonable interpretations.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:31 PM

I loved this movie. It took me two times watching it to understand what happened to the money. Anton ends up with it, that is why he went to the hotel. Right before that scene with TLJ ends, there is a dime on the floor next to the vent. Anton knew Moss hid the money in the vent from the previous hotel so that's how he knew where to look.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:36 PM

This movie sucked.