Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 AM

Default Re: How to become a fan of college football.

Pudge and smbruin,

Thanks for the insight on how to keep on top of the news from the great white north.

Pudge,

Even though I can't name 5 players on Michigan, I am pretty attached to them. I get just as nervous watching one of their game as I do a Leafs or Packers game.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GoldenRhino,
One big problem is that in Canada it requires a ton of effort to keep track of recruiting and we get a pretty limited amount of games. I would suggest following one conference I guess Big Televen and than following the big national stories. If you didn't already follow Michigan, I would suggest follwing the SEC since it is better football and we get a similar amount of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the rhino in canada? i think that was only me (reread his post and didn't see it)... EDIT: o.k., it looks like he is in canada. wonder if it was in his OP
Old 11-24-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GoldenRhino,
One big problem is that in Canada it requires a ton of effort to keep track of recruiting and we get a pretty limited amount of games. I would suggest following one conference I guess Big Televen and than following the big national stories. If you didn't already follow Michigan, I would suggest follwing the SEC since it is better football and we get a similar amount of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

was the rhino in canada? i think that was only me (reread his post and didn't see it)

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mention it in the OP (probably shoulda). Pudge knows my location from other posts.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:21 AM

more NFL draft-oriented than NCAAF, but check out GBNreport.com. nice free site run out of ottawa (not the best site, but impressive that they run it from canada)

hey, go bombers on sunday!!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
more NFL draft-oriented than NCAAF, but check out GBNreport.com. nice free site run out of ottawa (not the best site, but impressive that they run it from canada)

hey, go bombers on sunday!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo on the Bombers. They knocked out the Argos, plus the Riders are everyone's second favourite team. thanks for the link [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:42 AM

i mentioned the gbnreport mock site but there are tons of mock drafts and lists of the top college players by position elsewhere on the internet ... that's how i knew kansas had a huge stud CB (name escapes me but it's late)... anyhow, i find that very enjoyable reading that stuff (not reading it too closely or anything... it's not like i'm really scouting these guys)

huge, huge missouri-kansas game tomorrow. probably the biggest game i can remember between traditionally mediocre or worse programs. atmosphere will be electric (like louisville at rutgers last year)
Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
which change over ~25% of their rosters every year,

[/ QUOTE ]

really...who cares?
Are you telling me that you are better able to be a fan of the NFL because you know every single O-lineman and linebacker? That seems silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. that and the fact that they don't really play in the same leagues, there's no trades or player movement, etc. i'm just as interested in the market aspects of sports as i am in the games themselves, and in college football those things are all behind closed doors.

then again, i've never had a rooting interest in college football so maybe that's why I'm not a real fan of it.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:12 AM

There are 118 D-IA schools but of those there are only about ~60 BCS conference teams and to be honest those are the only ones the really matter.

Of those 60 probably 30-40 are actually worth a damn, so now you are talking roughly the same number of teams as in the NFL.

You basically follow your team(s) primarily, followed by the conference(s) of your team, followed by the teams in the top 10 or so and in the national title hunt.

I could write a novel about why college football is vastly superior to the NFL but I will summarize with a few bullet points.

1. Every game matters ALOT

In NFL you can lose games in the regular season and it's really no big deal. Hell you can finish freaking 8-8 or 9-7 and make the playoffs. Every game in college football is monumental. A single loss and you are usually out of the national title race. Two and you are done. Conference races often come down to tie breakers so losing a single game in conference is usually the difference.

2. The game has far more emotion

This is probable related to number #1 somewhat but the games are filled with way more emtion. You can feel the engery of the crowd and see the intensity on the players and coaches faces. People have real connections to the schools (students, alumni, friends/family alumni, regional pride, etc.) College football rivalries blow pro rivalries to hell.

3. College football is a coaches game

Of pretty much every major sport coaching matters the most in football and it matters the most in college football. By time players reach the NFL they have usually been coached up pretty well already in college and also develop big egos now they are playing for big money and only so much can be done to coach them. In college players are often raw talent with little to no coaching and thus the coaches molding and use of them is far more important. I find college football far more stategic in nature than the NFL. There is just so much talent on the field the players are what matters way more than the coaching/strategy.