Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Indian food thread

[ QUOTE ]
I am seriously considering driving up to try Akbar in Columbia. Any idea if its as good as the Baltimore location? Its a lot closer to me in Rockville than driving all the way to Columbia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been to the Columbia one once but it was quite good, very close if not equal to the Baltimore loc. Atmosphere isn't as good (it's in a strip mall of some sort) but the food is excellent.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a) Are there are any clues that you can use about an Indian restaraunts menu to determine the level of healthiness involved in the food?

[/ QUOTE ]
Red tandori chicken is a common bad sign in my experience. It should be orange/brown and the redness is food colouring for no good reason.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got here and realized my last post is not moot, but I think that it is traditionally red. So the reason is primarily that it looks SWEET! I don't see anything wrong with eating red tandori. Is there a health concern with the coloring or do you feel it is used to cover up some other sign of poor quality?

+EV
Old 11-21-2007, 12:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am seriously considering driving up to try Akbar in Columbia. Any idea if its as good as the Baltimore location? Its a lot closer to me in Rockville than driving all the way to Columbia.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only been to the Columbia one once but it was quite good, very close if not equal to the Baltimore loc. Atmosphere isn't as good (it's in a strip mall of some sort) but the food is excellent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to head out there this week. I'll post a trip report.

+EV
Old 11-21-2007, 01:54 PM

i like Indian but its v heavy and hard to eat often
Old 11-21-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't found a great Indian restaurant in Vegas - if anyone knows of one, let me know!

One of my favorite restaurants in all the world is The Electric Lotus in L.A....fantastic Indian food with a great atmosphere. [/quote}

there aren't any great ones as far as I know, where have you tried? I think the one across from hard rock is probably the best tasting place I've been thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

the place across from Hard Rock is very good

www.originindiarestaurant.com

try the Josh Rogan (spicy lamb)
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil,

"Do you get offended that people think you are an expert on Indian food? They probably also assume you are really good with computers."

It's only logical for people to think I'm expert on pretty much everything, so no.

What's funnier is that whatever ethnicity you are, I think it's pretty common when you visit a new city to have friends/colleagues there say something like "OMFG, I MUST take you to this INCREDIBLE Mexican/Indian/Korean/Japanese/Chinese/Italian/whatever place you will LOVE it." Like they are gonna really impress someone who grew up on that food with some special restaurant of a level they've never had before. "OMG, WOW, I NEVER REALIZED THIS CUISINE COULD BE QUITE LIKE THIS!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

hurray for being jewish i guess. no one ever tells me they're gonna take me to the best deli i've ever been to.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't found a great Indian restaurant in Vegas - if anyone knows of one, let me know!

One of my favorite restaurants in all the world is The Electric Lotus in L.A....fantastic Indian food with a great atmosphere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Electric Lotus is just ok. It's open very late, which is nice, but the food is just good, not great.

My favorite in LA is the Mirchi Tikka Masala at Flavor of India on SMB right next to the Troubadour. If god existed, this dish would definitely be his creation. They also have the best naan, straight out of the oven.

Tantra in Silverlake is pretty good, too, but it's a bit overpriced for the portions.

I haven't tried the place on 3rd, but that's about a mile from me, so I might have to give it a shot.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

One of my favorite restaurants in all the world is The Electric Lotus in L.A....fantastic Indian food with a great atmosphere. [/quote}

there aren't any great ones as far as I know, where have you tried? I think the one across from hard rock is probably the best tasting place I've been thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

the place across from Hard Rock is very good

www.originindiarestaurant.com

try the Josh Rogan (spicy lamb)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second this, origin india is pretty good. try the chicken app that is chicken breast pieces w/some curry/mustard concoction. faaaaaaaaaaaantastic.