Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 AM

Default Best Way to Utilize SSHE

What is your strategy for utilizing the advice in SSHE? Why is SSHE so different in its reccomendations as Jones' advice in some places?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Best Way to Utilize SSHE

Because SSHE is better.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because SSHE is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant!
Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 AM

I'm no 2+2 groupie but I have to say here; SSHE is the best book ever written when it comes to limit hold 'em. All those people who say "It doesn't apply to the type of games you see on the internet today" just don't get it and never will. If you understand the conceptual ideas described in SSHE you will be capable of beating almost any game because you will be able to adapt. If you need to follow exact recommendations as prescribed by a starting hand chart based on "number of players to the flop" then you were never much of a poker player to begin with. If you understand the underlying concepts then you can adapt to any game. SSHE teaches you those concepts better than any other book ever put in print.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:03 AM

Mmmm Hmmm .... I've always seen this kind of praise on stuff for SSHE

and always wanted to ask.

Apart from the concepts of betting on the come based on potequity and checkraising to deny pot odds on the flop in situations, where a lead can't shut out anyone, what is it that sets SSHE apart from let us say ITH

(Now that we've have removed the starting hands charts out of the equation, so we can't nitpick over whether QJx is a raise, call or fold in this and that position)

Why is SSHE the best ??? (and why can't Stox book not compete with it ?? .. since we are talking concepts, remember you can't answer that Stox book is geared towards higher stakes, the concepts are still just concepts and Stox covers betting on the come (tho not the checkraising to deny odds, as he doesn't cover multi multi way pots on the flop, but then again he discusses checkraising for other purposes)
Old 08-29-2007, 10:46 AM

SSHE is a good book, but it's probably one of the misused books too. I'd like to know how much money has been lost applying those concepts incorrectly against the wrong player types. Yes, it's good for all poker players to understand the concepts to be a well rounded player, even if you don't face those conditions. That doesn't mean the book is a how-to for today's internet game. ITH is much better for that. Most of the multi-way and weak player concepts are covered in ITH anyway, it's just covered more in depth and more clearly in SSHE. ITH covers more broud or average poker conditions you'll encounter.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:49 AM

ITH is a great book too. Jeff, if you read any of my posts you will see that I always sing ITH's praises.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:24 AM

DOn't get me wrong, I think SSHE is a good book, but it is just a book like any other, and I am always surprised by the holy grail hail mary posting that sometimes surrounds it.

Tho honestly, I came a bit late to the pokerscene and wasn't around when limit still hadn't 'died' and the book was fresh and made an impact [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2007, 10:32 PM

I have SSHE and Kind Yao's book how would Yao's weighint the odds compare to ITH?
Old 09-02-2007, 01:34 AM

IMO, SSHE is required reading for anyone taking up Limit Hold'em. That's not to say it is the only Limit book you should read, but it should be your first. You should also read Sklansky's Limit for Advanced players and Theory of Poker books. I also recommend Stox's book as well, although it's not really for beginners. But if you study all of these books hard and understand the concepts, I feel your overall game will improve. But if you're only going to read one book on Limit, I think SSHE should be the one.