Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: A Couple EV Questions

[ QUOTE ]
Under the assumption that one is a long term +EV player, who is consistently better than his opponents, is it ever +EV to muck AA face up preflop before any significant action has happened?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure, if all of the thinking players have heart problems, seeing this will kill them, and you can collect money from the fish for weeks. Normally, you are giving up hours of profits on average if you fold AA preflop, and there are cheaper ways to convince people you are clueless.

If you are heads up against a friend, you might try folding AA in a NL game after your friend pushes. People will take shots at you a lot more after that.

[ QUOTE ]
What would some possible responses be when people ask, "WTF?!"

[/ QUOTE ]
"They weren't suited."
Old 08-25-2007, 11:22 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would it not work in a poker game like it would in a pool hall? poker isn't a very phyiscially mechincal game like pool is...or at least i would think one COULD fake it. maybe not...

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot less luck in pool than poker.

But remember in the Hustler Paul Newman got his thumbs broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to be a very good pool player (among the best 3 in my country) and almost got killed hustling. Haven`t played pool since then. That was 9 years ago. I got married at the same time.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:44 PM

1) is just stupid, no theres no value since ur giving up tons of EV immediately to likely gain nothing in return as people wont play worse against u becuz of this, they ll just think " oh unlucky he accidentally flipped over his hand when he had that"

2) people argue table image as being more important than it is, esp at live low limit tables. Donks play poor vs everyone even players they think are super tight, they say u havent played a hand in forever then minutes later call ur utg raise with KTo.

Also everyone thinks everyone else sucks anyways, theres no reason to make a bunch of obviously -EV plays in a vacuum in order to have an image which might get you more bucks some other hand later (as you often wont get more than you've given up back or would have made the same later if you have played well early in the session). If you bluff/c bet when its profitable you'll get called enough where you'll have balance and people will think you bluff so you get paid later.

Just pay attention to your table image and know what it is, it might effect a few decisions later on. One thing I would warn against is dont start pulling big bluffs cuz u think your table image is good and definitely not becuz you havent played a hand in an hour or two. Some donk will call you with shiite no matter how tight u've been playing if they have a hand theyd usually play vs an unknown or less tight player. Thats why we play tight and wait for good hands in the first place, right?