Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: I thought pocket pairs were easy to play

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm tempted to check the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Being tempted is ok but you should never actually do it.
I think he hand is played fine, although I'd bet the river. he might have a FD but he might as well have TPGK or even worse. IMHO the way SB played on the flop screams "I'm a retard" much louder than anything about a FD.
Anyway, checking behing on the river is ok vs. an unknown as long as you don't fall for checking all kind of big hands against all kinds of opponent just because you're afraid.

[/ QUOTE ]

With 4 people in there are a veritable butt load of draws SB could c/c/cap with on this flop. Just because someone plays different from you doesn't make them retarded.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:41 AM

button had AQ for sure
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM

nh
Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM

I want to point out something that no one else seems to be commenting on. You say that you spent your effort in this hand trying to protect your hand, but in fact you never succeeded in doing so. Consider: on the flop, you bet, offering the field 18:1 odds. Any draw as low as bottom pair has to take those odds and call. On the turn, you bet again, offering the field 16:1 odds. Ditto. The only way you could possibly have protected your hand in a pot this big is by c/cing the flop, hoping it isn't raised, then hoping the SB bets the turn and you can raise, offering the remaining player(s) to your left something in the neighborhood of 6:1. It's an unlikely scenario, and overall I don't have a problem with the way you played the hand, but you should be clear that you did not protect your hand on any street in this hand. The pot odds were always too large to force any draw to fold or call unprofitably.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 PM

If Button had AQ he'd have called the turn surely?

Is consensus that SB has a flush? If he had Ace spades he'd bet river. If he had less (Queen or ten), don't you think he'd have folded pre-flop? I think you're up against trips, although what, I'm not sure.

Think you played it well BTW. Think I'd have checked turn though as until that point I had him on AK.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I spent my effort in this hand value betting KK, any input?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP. Hand protection is overrated.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:09 PM

Eh, when you have an overpair you're not concerned w/ protecting your hand, you're concerned w/ getting as much money in the pot as possible because you're more than likely a pretty big favorite [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] . c/c here is pretty ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With 4 people in there are a veritable butt load of draws SB could c/c/cap with on this flop. Just because someone plays different from you doesn't make them retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
At the point where he caps there are only 2 opponents left in the pot. Anyway you're right, he could easily play a FD this way and it might not be retarded, even though I can't see what sense this line is supposed to have.

[ QUOTE ]
FYP. Hand protection is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]
Very true, protecting against a strong draw like FD or OESD is quite impossible under almost all circumstances. All you can do is bet for value and hope the draw doesn't come in.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At the point where he caps there are only 2 opponents left in the pot. Anyway you're right, he could easily play a FD this way and it might not be retarded, even though I can't see what sense this line is supposed to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if he has just a flushdraw capping pbb isn't best. But it's VERY likely he has a pair or a gutshot with his flushdraw