Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 04:46 AM

Default Re: Half price!

what do you guys think of checkraising the turn? it's the first thing i thought of. if HJ bets fishy button could call and then you pop it, you look so strong at that point HJ could fold a winner
Old 10-20-2006, 10:50 AM

I think a turn checkraise is both too expensive of a bluff and doesn't work often enough because the pot becomes so huge by then. What if HJ decides to peel with a pocket pair because he's getting 15-1 and figures you still might just be bluffing or betting a worse hand (ie he has KK and thinks you could have QQ)? It's not a totally unreasonable bluff, but does it work out for you twice as often? I doubt it.

And don't forget, the horrible button still could have something that beats you. And HE's not folding if he does.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what do you guys think of checkraising the turn? it's the first thing i thought of. if HJ bets fishy button could call and then you pop it, you look so strong at that point HJ could fold a winner

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but whiffing leaves you in a very bad spot.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:20 PM

Default Results

So, I decided to bet the turn and put the HJ to a decision. I figured if I checked the turn and faced a likely bet and call I'd end up being put in a spot where I have a marginal decision getting 11:1. However if the HJ raised my bet I figured there was a good enough chance he had a ten and the 14:1 pot odds wouldn't be good enough.

HJ raised, the button cold-called and I folded. The river was a blankish [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (maybe it made a straight possible), HJ bet, the button raised and HJ called. The button took it down with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. HJ later told me he had KT.

HJ initially questioned my turn bet when we discussed the hand. I think I convinced him it was a better play than checking, and I was sure I could get all of you aggromonkeys to agree [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2006, 04:42 PM

What am I, a friggin' Mirage?

-Diplomat
Old 10-20-2006, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmm, CR the turn is hot.

-Diplomat

[/ QUOTE ]

ding, thats why i asked about HJ checking behind. if HJ wont check behind, it's sexy time imo.

Barron
Old 10-20-2006, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you must bet-fold this turn. the problem is when hj calls and the river bricks off...

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think bet/fold is correct. i think when you get a card like that T where it is the exact kind of card that a) HJ is unlikely to have, b) allows you to look like you dont need a free card (and a free card wont hurt you against HJ anyways...i.e small cost of it), c) a free card is unlikely to be taken, and d) have a spot where HJ can't call looking for just a set (getting 13:1), you have the elements of exactly a turn c'r.

Barron