Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 01-30-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: checking and betting in the dark

[ QUOTE ]
If called a raise with small pp or sc's oop, dark checking the flop is a good idea.
I dark check the flop a lot outta position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying check dark and having no intention of leading into the pfr are two ENTIRELY different things. If I hear someone check dark I assume they have the two types of hands you listed. You are bleeding info. BTW. If someone autobets flops, do they auto raise often? Then you could do the whole lead w/ a set business.

-JP
Old 01-30-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey creed,

My only real memorable experience encountering dark betting was also, perhaps not coincidentally, in the Bellagio 10-20 game. Mike (who may have been the guilty party in your case as well), a middle-aged Russian (?) guy whom I gather is a regular in the game, raised from EP. Mike plays pretty LAG, but reads hands very well. Anyway, I called the raise in position w/ QJs, hu pot, Mike bets the pot in the dark. I wait to see the flop of QJx, w/ two clubs, before pumping it up big on the flop.

Mike mutters something about, "You have QJ? Good, I'll turn a king and bust you," as he tosses in his chips in bunches to call the raise.

Then he checks dark. The turn is the Kc. Oh man. I check behind, Mike grinning at me the whole way. Now, I was playing a pretty solid game that night, and I knew that Mike knew that I was aware he was gonna try to run me over at every possible opportunity.

So now Mike bets $600 in the dark. WTF? $600? The river is a blank. Mike tips the dealer as I ponder a call. I call like a fish, Mike has AcTx . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I got into a fun 4-handed game with Israeli Mike; I think that's your guy. He did occasionally toss out a dark bet.

The guy who was doing a lot of dark betting in my game was O'Neil, who shows up as villain in a lot of Ciaffone books.

The most interesting dark bet came on a river where he had a combo draw on the turn; he led out not certain whether or not he would hit! Of coure he did and the dude had to call.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i have encountered very few good players who do this.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't change the fact that I should get a better sense of what it means/how to deal with it.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM

I think people that dark bet often think they are effectively gaining position on the flop by making you first to act.

actually for a lot of stack sizes checking 100% into a pfr that will autobet is, as I mentioned before, a pretty good strategy.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:55 PM

Playing 2/5 NL at Wynn last weekend. Solid Asian guy raises 3x w/ AA in EP I RR 3x on his immediate left. He checks dark and I 1x on K98, He checks dark and I 1x on a 5. He checks dark again and I push for 1.2x. He calls and I show him Kings full. I had been fairly aggressive in the short time I was at the table. Bad result for him but not a bad way to play AA against an aggro opponent.