Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Full Tilt $163, 4-bet semibluff vs. Bartley

I'd been @ the same table as Aaron Bartley for about an hour. Right when he got to the table, I 3-bet him and he promptly 4-bet AI in a button/sb confrontation. So yea, I pretty much left him alone after that. He's been calling his fair share of raises, and 3-bet once or twice.

My image: I'd been playing fairly tight and I hadn't 3-bet anyone since that one time I 3-bet Bartley about an hour ago. I just won a medium sized pot w/ a preflop raise, followed by a flop c/r w/ KhJh on a Qxx two heart board.

UTG+1 is new to table. The coldcaller is pretty bad and calls raises somewhat loosely. I could see the coldcaller holding any pair, some of the better suited broadway hands, AJ+.

Full Tilt Poker Game #2485931861: $28,000 Guarantee (18339097), Table 17 - 300/600 Ante 75 - No Limit Hold'em - 18:13:40 ET - 2007/05/22
Seat 1: bballer88 (13,851)
Seat 2: StoneEdge (6,155)
Seat 3: eazy on the ice (19,135)
Seat 4: soggy dogg (15,984)
Seat 5: shanekd (12,321)
Seat 6: Nidaba (21,344)
Seat 7: confiteor (21,215)
Seat 8: Aaron Bartley (30,745)
Seat 9: yoren8 (26,020)
bballer88 antes 75
StoneEdge antes 75
eazy on the ice antes 75
soggy dogg antes 75
shanekd antes 75
Nidaba antes 75
confiteor antes 75
Aaron Bartley antes 75
yoren8 antes 75
StoneEdge posts the small blind of 300
eazy on the ice posts the big blind of 600
The button is in seat #1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to yoren8 [T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
soggy dogg folds
shanekd raises to 1,600
Nidaba folds
confiteor calls 1,600
Nidaba is sitting out
Aaron Bartley raises to 7,975
yoren8 raises to 25,945, and is all in

I moved in within the first 5 seconds. Thoughts?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Full Tilt $163, 4-bet semibluff vs. Bartley

I don't play online, but What do you put the original raiser and Aaron Bartley on? I don't like this play at all due to risk/reward ratio. But it is online so you'll probably suck out even if you do get instacalled by AA.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:24 PM

I would fold. The raise was from early position and he reraised from CO. This is unlikely to be a squeeze play, and I think he has odds to call the push.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:27 PM

Just to clarify, I am to bartley's direct left. I am in the cutoff seat. Bartley is in the hijack. I did not open this pot.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:30 PM

While many players don't understand potodds, I still think that gambleAB isn't capable of making this play with an extremely wide range. Shane will be shoving on his 3-bet relatively frequently, and if confite shoves, he is getting good enough odds that he has to call. If both people were like 20k deep and he 3-bet to like 6k, a 4bet here would be more tempting.

But in reality, against any realistic range, he has to call this shove relatively wide just because of the odds he is given. I think plays like this are under-rated, and people need to use them more often, I just think that unless AB is 3betting a huge range(like all pairs etc), this can't be profitable.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:34 PM

no me gusta. What betgo said I guess
Old 05-23-2007, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play online, but What do you put the original raiser and Aaron Bartley on? I don't like this play at all due to risk/reward ratio. But it is online so you'll probably suck out even if you do get instacalled by AA.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the kind of things we are trying to stay away from in this forum.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

These are the kind of things we are trying to stay away from in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
beat me to it

anyway, I'm kinda mixed on the play, because Bartley is definitely capable of pulling a squeeze and he likes to be aggressive preflop. That said, any legit hand he does it with is always calling you (I mean, there's a chance he 3-bets something like TT or even JJ and folds to a cold 4-bet, but I don't think it's especially likely).

I dunno... it can't be that bad. We're probably about 30% vs. Bartley's calling range, sooooo... someone more math-inclined than me should do the math on how often he has to fold to make this profitable.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would fold. The raise was from early position and he reraised from CO. This is unlikely to be a squeeze play, and I think he has odds to call the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is something I've noticed people ignoring a lot lately in the strat forum... yeah some people 3bet light from all sorts of positions, but the vast majority of people, even those who 3bet light, never do it from co, especially vs a raise and a call
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM

I don't like the play. While Bartley 3bets a decent amount and this looks like a squeeze I think he cold calls with most hands we beat. He likes to take flops and play in position a lot (ok he likes to CC OOP a lot too) so if he had a worse hand I think he's taking a flop here.