Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 08:58 PM

Default Bremen\'s continuing adventures playing stud8

Playing high hands has always been one of my weaknesses in this game :-(

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High-Low ($3/$6), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.58 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (6.92 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls

5th Street - (4.96 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.96 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

River - (9.96 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (9.96 BB)
Old 12-07-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Bremen\'s continuing adventures playing stud8

Completing on third is the worst possible option. If you limp third then the pot is plenty small to fold 4th and get out of the way. Folding is certainly the easiest way to play it, but I'd limp probably. After that it's fine. The nice thing that has developed is that it appears seat 4 is going to have a hard time scooping you unless he already holds the last 5.

I really want to say value bet the river, but your hand is so completely face up and it's actually pretty difficult for him to have a decision other than fold or raise in this specific situation. If you had rivered two pair I'd bet, even a maniac value bettor like me can't find a bet here.

Just saw the ante is .25 and BI is 1. That swings me more toward a fold, I don't think that limping is particularly bad if you play well later.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:45 PM

Fold 3rd. Bad hand and lots of low cards behind you.

As played from 3rd forward it looks good to me.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 AM

As long as you insist on playing pocket Jacks when there are seventeen low cards yet to act, these hands will continue to be a weakness. Fold third and fold fourth. Everything else looks fine.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you insist on playing pocket Jacks when there are seventeen low cards yet to act

[/ QUOTE ]
Right but that just means they have each others outs, right? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Ok, so this is a tad too loose on 3rd. Seems I'm either too tight or too loose, eventually I'll find just right... maybe
Old 12-08-2006, 11:54 AM

as everyone agrees, play positional poker with the high hands. muck kings utg. in loose games you should strongly consider doing the same with aces and a 9-k door. Use position to get the right match up- these hands are marginal unless you can get heads up, then they become very good hands.