Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 10-12-2006, 06:52 PM

Default 2/4 stud hi, 6th street action!??

Table seemed loose passive enough to make this limp profitable. No specific read on villain sadly :-(

HORSE - 7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.38 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (2.19 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls

6th Street - (6.19 BB)

Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___???
Old 10-12-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: 2/4 stud hi, 6th street action!??

I fold on 3rd, but on 6th you have to bet because its the natural thing to do, if you do anything else your opponent will be suspicious. Kinda sucks, but if you check your only giving your opponent a chance to improve to a hand that beats you.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2006, 11:06 PM

Bet 6th. If he calls, I'd check the river 100% of the time, check-raise with a flush or full. If he raises you on 6th, I could consider folding unimproved but I've seen people bluff there so I might call, plus folding trips there would raise some eyebrows that I'd rather keep furrowed.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:58 AM

This hand is an easy, easy limp with just one heart gone. I limp it here like...always. Your opponents raise sure looks like a straight, so when I trip up I am assuming I'm still behind. If I bet, he can't really raise. So I think the line of betting sixth is fine. Check/calling or getting a free card is okay too, but I think betting is better. On the river, I would not go for a c/r -- your board is too scary many players will just check a str8 behind. I'd bet if I fill or flush, check and hope for a free showdown if I don't. If I don't improve and he bets, it's a tough decision but I think a laydown is probably in order.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is an easy, easy limp with just one heart gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 hearts gone, not one. He has pair and straight outs are also counterfitted (not that they matter as much).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This hand is an easy, easy limp with just one heart gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recommend dusting off your abbacus.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:06 AM

you can check/raise 6th and then he will give you a free showdown if you want it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't know if I would though as he won't laydown his straight most likely if you dont improve and fire again.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:12 AM

oops, yeah two hearts gone does make it worse. Also just noticed that the bring in is very high relative to the ante. So actually, this is probably a fold on 3rd.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM

wow... at first i thought this was a pretty straighforward hand... but the more i think abt it the more confused i get... maybe i'm thinkin too much again... smone pls put me out of my misery!

anyway... let's start on 3rd street... if the table is loose and passive then i've got no problem limpin here... 2 hearts are dead, true, but i think enuff 4th street cards can come good to justify callin just the bring-in. however, noone limped after you... maybe not as loose as u thought? either way, we see 4th for no raises so i'm still happy!

4th seems pretty standard, but i'm startin to wonder abt villains hand... wat does he need to call here? everythg? 3 flush? a pair? or does it mean 4th helped him? we have no reads on him so let's just move on...

5th, this is the street that really gets me... our board improves... but we get raised!!? wat does villain think we have!? most likely, he thinks we have exactly wat we have; a pair of 2's with a 4 flush... so his raise doesn't really have to be a str8... he might just wanna charge us to draw... also a 5 and 2 8's are gone... i still think villains most likely hand is a 3 flush on 3rd so i guess he could have the 8 of spades in the hole... but... could he have 99 in the hole or 98? wat abt AA/KK? hey! u said the table was loose and passive...

then we make open trips! i think we have to bet here, mainly cos he can't really raise us... and we've got a ton of outs to beat a str8 if that's wat villain has. i'm still kinda worried abt trip 9's...

7th... confusion/mayhem mania! bartholow says to check 100% and then raise improved, mrbaa says bet out improved... i can see the reasonin, but i dun really like either, so i guess i'm screwed!... can't bet, can't check! lol

say we improve... if we bet, villain will call with a str8 and raise us if we're beat. if we check, i'm gonna assume villain will bet most of the time and if we raise, he might smtimes lay down a str8, and definitely anythg worse... and we'll still get reraised if we're up against 9's full.

say we're stuck with trip 2's, we can't expect villain to lay down anything that beats us if we bet... so we can't bet... if we check, we can again assume villain will bet most of the time. i dunno how often this'll be a bluff, but probably not often enuff. so we can't really check/call, leavin us with check/fold. but wat if we raise? he'll again reraise us if he can beat 2's full... and maybe he'll lay down a str8 some of the time, but if he's got higher trips, he's probably gonna fold.

so i reckon i would check/raise the river 100% of the time, improvement or no.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:53 PM

On 5th, shouldn't you reraise? I'd think a pair and a four flush is a favorite is a favorite over a bigger pair, and if he thinks you have trips or a full and folds, that's even better. I can't put him on the straight or straight draw with two eights dead.

On 6th, it still seems unlikely that he has the straight with two eights dead. If you bet, I doubt you'll get raised, since there's a good chance that you have a full cause you bet before. If you do, calling to the end seems to make sense... If he's cowardly (or clever), he'd fold to a reraise, but I wouldn't try it.

On the river, I'd just check and call with naked trips. People love to bluff into open trips, so I think there's enough bluffs to make this profitable. You'll feel really stupid if you fold and he shows a bluff too. Another good chance to raise bluff if you think he'll fold, but usually they'll just hesitate a long time and call.
After betting the whole way, you have to bet out with a full house or flush, because it's unlikely that he'll bet out with a straight after you check, or he might bet and fold to a raise on rare occasions, getting you the same amount of money.