FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

Default 50NL QQ overpair gets shoved on on the river

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

BB ($63.30)
UTG ($100.35)
Button ($116.60)
Hero ($66.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $2.

Flop: ($5.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, Button calls $4.

Turn: ($13.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($13.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $110.1</font>, Hero ???

villian is 41.8/14.2/0.77 over 150 hands. I have history with him and he's ok but doesn't play tricky at all at least from what I have seen. He probably respects me but has to know that I'm playing very aggressively and loosely at times. as my time was running down he typed in the chat "just fold it." I don't know if I like how I played the hand in general either.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 50NL QQ overpair gets shoved on on the river

why'd you check the turn
Old 08-03-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why'd you check the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the turn check us interesting, especially if villain is an aggressive player or a known floater. Also, if he checks behind we can bet river and get value from about any pair because he is not gonna believe you given turn checking through.

There is a draw out there though so leading again is probably standard.

And gotta fold river. You only beat a bluff, and I don't see what villain would be bluffing with here. T9 for flopped OESD just picked up some shodown value and would probably just have called. The floats would have bet the turn. You are about never good IMO.

Well maybe a rare 6x, but most villains don't have the guts to pull the trigger over a river lead. Even if they did, it wouldn't be that holding often enough for a call to be profitable.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:58 PM

like i said i don't kno if i like how i played the hand but at the time I was thinking that he folds to my double barrels with everything I want to extract value from.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like i said i don't kno if i like how i played the hand but at the time I was thinking that he folds to my double barrels with everything I want to extract value from.

[/ QUOTE ]
99.tt,jj,a8, random pairs. i think betting the turn is right.

as played pretty easy fold.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:13 PM

he never has 99-JJ cuz he limp called button. A8 is possible but he might fold if I double barrel.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:13 PM

Turn check is fine, I'd probably check/call 1/2 - 3/4 pot bet on the river here.

As played, yes you have to fold.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

People in the micros call too much. That is the biggest mistake most players make. Therefore you should be betting this turn 99% of the time. Add in the fact that he's playing 41% of his hands pf and it makes it an even more clear bet.

As played, this looks like an easy fold. You said yourself he's not tricky. He doesn't have a high AF. Looks like he flopped a set and boated the turn, so he checked.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn check is fine, I'd probably check/call 1/2 - 3/4 pot bet on the river here.

As played, yes you have to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

some of the purpose of turn check is to get value on river from marginal things if he didnt stab turn. checking turn and then check/calling river too is so bad IMO. It lets villain decide wether he wants to take you to value town or not.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:17 PM

i wouldn't go so far as to say that you should bet the turn 99% of the time. i'd c/r the turn against a lot of opponents, but not this guy.