Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2007, 03:39 AM

Default TPTK + NFD OOP

NL 0.25/0.5, I have 40$ and am covered by both guys in the hand. Button was LAG, 40/22, playing his middle/bottompairs very agressive until showdown.

UTG limps, I limp in MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], MP2 limps, Button limps, BB checks.

Flop 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2.25$)

BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red"> Hero bets 2$</font>, MP2 calls 2$, <font color="red">Button raises to 6$</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, Hero ?

I had a controversial discussion with my buddy, as he was sitting behind me while I was playing. I pushed, but was "berated" afterwards. His idea was just to call the Button-raise to try and keep MP2 in the hand.

But my thinking was like "I have a vulnerable TPTK, and Button could be doing this with overcards, so I push. If I'm called by something that beats me now (2pair, overpair) I have decent outs, I'm only a serious dog against a set."

Which line of thought is "the correct" one ?

a) Push the flop, building a lot of FE and winning the pot uncontested most of the time
or
b) only calling the flopraise to keep MP2 in the hand, to hit biiiig when the flush turns.

My problem with approach b) is that my TP is vulnerable. I don't want to see a 6, 7, 8, 9, J, Q or K on the board, only with A or T (or any club...) I'm happy.
If I only call the flopraise, and a K turns, what is my plan ?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: TPTK + NFD OOP

I think both lines of thinking are correct. It just depends on what line you think is going to make the most money based on your opponents. I honestly like pushing these types of situations, but that is kind of based on my image.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM

With TPTK + NFD, i'm usually gung ho to get the money in as soon as possible. But there were a few things that bugged me about this hand.

1) The stack sizes are awkward. A decent sized raise pot commits us and a push allows him to fold any marginal hands.

2) His raise was light. I'm inclined to think he wants action.

3) Pushing would certainly blow MP2 off his hand.

During the hand, i probably don't think this much and push.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:27 PM

I 3bet here 100% of the time.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:55 PM

You have so much frikkin' equity in this pot. you want to get everything in the middle. I'm not smoothcalling, but you could raise to $18.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:27 PM

The problem with plan B is that I don't think you are getting all of their stacks if you just call and the flush card comes home; its fairly obvious for any pair, two pair, etc what you now have (with 3 to a flush on board, including a potential straight scare card that is a club) and I'm not sure you get paid off. I think the only way you are getting doubled (tripled?) with the nut flush here is to get it allin and catch it on a later street, and not to mention the fold equity, I think this makes the flop shove the right play..