Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 PM

Default $109 Overpair hand - dilemma of adjusting to fields of mixed quality

Same content as my last post, basically. I hope to get different responses due to different hand and title.

The hand is from a $109 FO on Sunpoker (Crypto). There are satellites into this daily tournament and the play isnīt the best there anyway. So the field is a mix of good players and dead money.

This is the first hand.

There are two points bothering me:
1) I think if villain is a thinking player Iīm either slightly ahead (AdXd) or WB (set) and I could find a fold vs that range, whereas if villain is bad I can call here, since 99-JJ/A8 etc are added. Do you concur?

2) Which way to choose in such a mixed field? I am passing up doubling up vs the donk or go broke with an overpair in a hand with lots of action. Both sucks.

No converter for this site.

Very first hand, 10 handed. 2500 starting chips.

dealt to Hero Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
2 folds
MP1 calls 20
Hero raises to 100
4 folds
CO calls 100
SB calls 90
1 fold
MP1 calls 80

----- FLOP -----
8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
SB checks
MP1 checks
Hero bets 320
CO calls 320
SB folds
MP1 raises to 2400 and is all-in
Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Re: $109 Overpair hand - dilemma of adjusting to fields of mixed quality

This really just comes down to one question.... Some people hold to the idea that people can't play poker until they prove that they can. Other always assume they're up against a player until they're proven to be a donkey. It's really up to you how you approach the game, but that's what you're dealing with here.

There's no evidence either way as to which type of guy the villain is here, so you just have to go with your gut. A lot of the time, you can look to the buy-in to help answer the question. Typically, the larger the buy-in, the fewer donkeys you face (though there are always still some, no matter what). Lacking further info, I'd tend to fold this hand. You may be laying down the best hand to a flush draw or a weaker pair, but the villain could also have easily flopped a set, two pair, or a straight and is now protecting his hand.

I hate myself, and fold.

--TFGoose