Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2007, 08:59 PM

Default Grilled stuff, frozen chicken breasts, and other healthy eating tips

ED: Edited title since the thread started out about the Foreman but is really all about healthy eating and especially grilled frozen chicken breasts.

I gained about ten pounds since this incredible Asian fresh bread & pastry place opened right next door. After I finish the Green Tea bread on my counter and the remaining contents of my boxed wine (Black Box Brand Merlot, good stuff) I need to go back to a low carb diet so I look good and healthy when I visit my family back East in six weeks (don’t want Mom and Dad to think I’m slipping so they worry about me even though I am slipping). I eat healthy at the card clubs (except Hollywood Park) but my off days are killing me.

First, I’m getting a George Forman grill for low fat grilling of meat and veggies. The new ones have removable plates for easier cleaning so I’ll go that way. This one from Target looks about right (and it may be cheaper at Wal-Mart I know but shopping at Target is more fun). I realize El D has ”baller version” but I’ll never cook waffles or need all those parts and I’m not a “baller” anyway.

I plan on shopping at Trader Joe’s but when it comes to meat and veggies it’s going to have to be mostly frozen items that don’t spoil; I only have time to shop once a week or so because TJ’s is twenty minutes away and closes before I finish my poker day.

I’ve read and participated in astroglide’s great finds at trader joe’s thread but what I need to concentrate on in this thread is frozen meat (mostly fish or chicken) or veggies that can be thawed quickly and cooks well using the Forman Grill (or grill combined with microwave). No carb condiment or spice recommendations are also appreciated.

I realize this sort of overlaps the ongoing bachelor food thread but I’m hoping to focus on this stuff which is essentially a low fat, low carb version of bachelor food. If you are a bachelor (or separated as in my case) you really need to stay thin. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Best frozen stuff from TJ’s to cook on a George Forman Grill?

I just go to the "regular" grocery store and buy steaks there. Usually run like $4 for a nice sized one.

TJ's meat is overpriced IIRC. I love their white cheddar macaroni for a side dish though.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 PM

I really dig the KC Masterpiece BBQ Seasoning as it does chicken goooooooood. Marinating a chicken breast in some no fat/low cal italian dressing works great also.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:55 PM

Their meat isn't that overpriced for organic/free range. I've started ordering my beef online, but I still buy their chicken/turkey. I hardly use the forman now except for steak. I cook 4-5 lbs of chicken breasts every sunday for the week and I cook the ground turkey in a pan that is normally good for 3-4 meals. Rick Give it a shot. The forman isn't everything, the cleanup/cook quality can't be justified for chicken breasts. I've never cooked veggies on it. I have the G5 too....only use it for steak mostly and hamburgers. I buy a lot of the frozen fish at TJs too, mostly pan sear that or broil as well. I wouldn't use the forman for it. Have you tried their wild canned alaskan salmon, also very good.

Sorry for the incoherence of this post...just got back from a nice 12 hour session at the library.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this sort of overlaps the ongoing bachelor food thread but I’m hoping to focus on this stuff which is essentially a low fat, low carb version of bachelor food. If you are a bachelor (or separated as in my case) you really need to stay thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also not to harp since we sort of got into in the kyleb thread in oot...but you don't want low carb low fat. You want high protein, high good natural fat, no processed carbs, normal amount of clean carbs (fruit/veggie). Try and get out of the low carb concept - it's a fallacy.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realize this sort of overlaps the ongoing bachelor food thread but I’m hoping to focus on this stuff which is essentially a low fat, low carb version of bachelor food. If you are a bachelor (or separated as in my case) you really need to stay thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also not to harp since we sort of got into in the kyleb thread in oot...but you don't want low carb low fat. You want high protein, high good natural fat, no processed carbs, normal amount of clean carbs (fruit/veggie). Try and get out of the low carb concept - it's a fallacy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. Atkins is OK for short bursts but your diet above is tops. But when that bread place opened next door I sort of broke down and added fast food to the mix. Ordering two Whopper Juniors minus cheese and discarding one roll isn't keeping a good diet.

I do try to mostly order fish and chicken at the card clubs without bread or potato and lots of fruit, salad, and veggies. Usually is easy to stick to with the mostly decent LA card club food.

~ Rick
Old 02-26-2007, 12:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just go to the "regular" grocery store and buy steaks there. Usually run like $4 for a nice sized one.

TJ's meat is overpriced IIRC. I love their white cheddar macaroni for a side dish though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to avoid cooking red meat at home since you get so much outside. Last year for leaner meat I cooked a big turkey or so bachelor style every ten days or so but that was when I was playing online more and had the time.

White cheddar cheese and macaroni might be tasty but it's just got to be a caloric, dietetic catastrophe. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 02-26-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I cook 4-5 lbs of chicken breasts every sunday for the week and I cook the ground turkey in a pan that is normally good for 3-4 meals. Rick Give it a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds like the ticket. I have a very large, high quality pan ideal for chicken. I've just never used it since the work to eat ratio is too high when you're by yourself and get to eat for free at work. But if I learned a few recipies (without using flour or bread crumbs) I could cook a week's worth at once and use the cold stuff warmed up with some sort of sauce (sauce might be mustard out of a bottle) and for chicken salad (which I love when it's made from real good ingredients).

[ QUOTE ]
The forman isn't everything, the cleanup/cook quality can't be justified for chicken breasts. I've never cooked veggies on it. I have the G5 too....only use it for steak mostly and hamburgers. I buy a lot of the frozen fish at TJs too, mostly pan sear that or broil as well. I wouldn't use the forman for it. Have you tried their wild canned alaskan salmon, also very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well a few years back I bought some frozen fish from TJ's and I guess it sat in the freezer for a while because I was eating lots of fish at the clubs. When I did cook the fish (salmon and halibut I think) it wasn't good but I wasn't motivated to really learn. Fish is terrible left over and it's that old work to eat ratio. I'll stick to chicken for now.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the incoherence of this post...just got back from a nice 12 hour session at the library.

[/ QUOTE ]
I played the latest I ever played last night. Then today I was worn out and got a sudden "gotta buy a gadget buzz" hence this thread.

~ Rick
Old 02-26-2007, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dig the KC Masterpiece BBQ Seasoning as it does chicken goooooooood. Marinating a chicken breast in some no fat/low cal italian dressing works great also.

[/ QUOTE ]

Finging good bottled seasoning sounds great. And I wonder if you can defrost chicken by mariniating it in the fridge in dressing? Or perhaps I can find a chicken that will jump out of my fridge and cook itself!

~ Rick
Old 02-26-2007, 07:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Finging good bottled seasoning sounds great. And I wonder if you can defrost chicken by mariniating it in the fridge in dressing? Or perhaps I can find a chicken that will jump out of my fridge and cook itself!

~ Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

What I do (if I remember) is to take a chicken breast out the freezer and leave it on the counter on a plate before I go to bed. Then when I get up in the morning before I leave for work, I marinate and throw it in the fridge. That way it's thawed out first and then gets to marinate for 10 hours or so.