Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 03:59 AM

Default Pokerstars $10+$1 NL Final Table: Should I call here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed)

MP2 (t6565)
CO (t5970)
Button (t2095)
SB (t7175)
Hero (t7080)
UTG (t2900)
UTG+1 (t4085)
MP1 (t4630)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG+1 calls t400, SB folds.

Flop: (t1475) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t3460</font>

Final table of this 27 players 10$+1$ No Limit tournament.

Basically we just moved to the final table and I have no read on the villain yet (he came from a different table).

I felt pretty strong on the flop and bet 600 for value (looking at it now, i think this betsize is a bit low).

Villain thinks for about 25 seconds, then raises All In.

Should I call here?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 09-12-2007, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Pokerstars $10+$1 NL Final Table: Should I call here?

i think you should

UTG limps preflop - with blinds that high this is most time a medium or small PP, maybe some high SC.
With not 3-betting preflop i think you can exclude AK from his range.

Postflop - if he made a set he would call or reraise less - put pushing here intends to chase you off and win the hand immediately.
So I think your KQ is good most of the time here - I'd call.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:24 AM

I dunno, man. I really don't like raising pre here with an unknown limping near UTG.

You can find much better spots to abuse the bubble with your stack. No need to put yourself in this situation really.

As played, I'd probably think about it for a long time and call sometimes and fold sometimes. Leaning towards calling and not liking it.

The range here vs an unknown at this level is so wide, it makes it really tough to play this hand. (Which is why I fold pre, and mayyyyyyyyyyyybe limp behind here once in awhile.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:38 AM

I'm with levAA here, I think this is a pretty easy call.

If ak limps pre, it probably pushes over your raise, and probably doesn't limp pre anyways.

a set 22/55 is not an impossibilty, but you haven't really shown much strength, so he can't be 100% that you are calling here, which would be th eonlyreason he pushes. The board is rainbow and disconnected, so there's not really anything to make him afraid you could draw out on him.

I think this is either KJ, or a middle pair, and sometimes air like AJ, A10...

I don't mind raising pre-flop and you should raise more. If he is limping in EP he is calling for 2 more BBs like 100% here, and you are slightly behind any ace and any pair, which is a lot of his range, so you really don't want to be playing this OOP.

I think a raise to 1000 or 800 is probably best play here. 800 probably better as 1000 screams "please go away, I don;t want to play this hand OOP"
Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 AM

I check preflop, partly because limper is EP &amp; partly because stack sizes aren't great for raising -- a decent sized raise would be to 1000 with 2 limpers (don't like 600, they don't fold much to that) but then your committed to calling UTG+1 if he shoves over the top which kinda sucks.
As played I'm very happy to get it in with KQ on Kxx with this inflated pot size. Your cbet looks fairly weak &amp; his shoving range over it is thus wide.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

i think you should

UTG limps preflop - with blinds that high this is most time a medium or small PP, maybe some high SC.
With not 3-betting preflop i think you can exclude AK from his range.

Postflop - if he made a set he would call or reraise less - put pushing here intends to chase you off and win the hand immediately.
So I think your KQ is good most of the time here - I'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with this, but I'm having a problem to put villain on hand here. Your flop bet looks really weak, and he almost never has 22 or 55 with this push. I would expect PP to raise PF, so I think he has smth like K9s+,KJo+

This is a def call for me.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

i think villian is outkicked and you should call.
his limp UTG+1 screams KJs, possibly A5s. he could have 22 or 55 but as an ealier poster has noted he probably wouldnt shove into that ragged flop unless he's sure your going to call.

he has a short stack, so he'll be desperate enough to push with KJ, K10, he could also be playing a K9s type of hand.

Not to mention if you lose your still in it. gamble here.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed)

MP2 (t6565)
CO (t5970)
Button (t2095)
SB (t7175)
Hero (t7080)
UTG (t2900)
UTG+1 (t4085)
MP1 (t4630)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, UTG+1 calls t400, SB folds.

Flop: (t1475) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t3460</font>

Final table of this 27 players 10$+1$ No Limit tournament.

Basically we just moved to the final table and I have no read on the villain yet (he came from a different table).

I felt pretty strong on the flop and bet 600 for value (looking at it now, i think this betsize is a bit low).

Villain thinks for about 25 seconds, then raises All In.

Should I call here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like your bet sizes on both streets here. (If) you are going to raise, u have to make it 800-1000 when you're OOP. Make UTG+1 shove/fold. If he shoves, then u have to decide if he's got a PP &gt; JJ. Raising to 600 lets him call with his entire range and also gives him the impression that he can shove with some FE. I'd rather check pre than raise to 600. Either way, u have to bet at least 2/3 of the pot when u flop TP. Your c-bet looks so weak that he's going to think that his 66 is still good and shove.

As played this is a call, the only reasonable hands that you're losing to are 22 and 55.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:03 PM

I call, I don't see him having a hand where you're behind.

If he has a K, it's not likely AK so you're fine there. As others have said, if he has 22/55 it's horribly played unless he knows that you know that he wouldn't shove a set since there's not enough info to know that you're strong enough to call (but that's beyond the thinking of a $11 tourney).

Anyways, I make it at least 800 preflop, my standard c-bet is 2/3 psb on a non drawy board. As played I call the shove.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:11 PM

KQ OOP is tough. I'll sometimes ck in the BB and go for a CR if I hit the flop. If I raise it, OOP you have to represent more strength here. 600 is way too low and gives both players odds to call....all you've accomplished is inflating the pot with a marginal hand OOP.

As for the push, your flop bet was weak, and may have enticed villain to think you were betting light. I call his push.