Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 PM

Default Hands from Empire State Holdem Championship

1. I 2.5x at 50-100 59s from the CO. Old man makes it 500 straight with 3700 behind. I? Flop 5d9hAc. Old man fires 800. How do I proceed?

2. i'm in the BB with Jc8c. limped pot 4 to flop, Flop Js5s7c. Small blind pretty spewy leads out 300 at 400. I call. Turn 6c. He bets 800 with about 3700 behind (lol spewing donks with 50bb already in level 2) What do I do?

3. Stacks are hazy here. 75-150, approx 120bb deep. I raise K5s in the CO to 400. The button is an extremely large gentleman, who has been playing pretty well. a couple times I have tried to isolate weak limpers and obv he re-resqueezed from the button. He also has chipped up nicely and definitely knows how to value bet. Anyways Flop Ts3s4h. I bet 700 at 1200 and he throws out two 2k chips, other player folds I call. Turn 6x c/c. River 8s. I fire out like 5 or 6 blue chips and he thinks for a little and throws out a stack of his blues (putting me all in)

Besides killing myself? what do i do? I know live players love to just call rivers, and vs an old guy this might be a snap fold amirite? However, this guy understood position, bluffed river once, and I already was shown 3barreling a 4h on a As2s4s flop and some younger guy claimed to fold the 3rd nuts? lolz. Whatever...Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Hands from Empire State Holdem Championship

3. I don't see how we can watch a villain play solid, make good value bets and re-resqueeze us twice and then lump him in with old live players who never raise the non-nuts on the river. Stereotypes are great (lol) when we don't have specific info to go on, but I don't see why we should choose the stereotype over an actual read especially when it is strengthened by hero's image. From the description I think you're good here the ~25-30% of the time you need to be.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I 2.5x at 50-100 59s from the CO. Old man makes it 500 straight with 3700 behind. I? Flop 5d9hAc. Old man fires 800. How do I proceed?

2. i'm in the BB with Jc8c. limped pot 4 to flop, Flop Js5s7c. Small blind pretty spewy leads out 300 at 400. I call. Turn 6c. He bets 800 with about 3700 behind (lol spewing donks with 50bb already in level 2) What do I do?

3. Stacks are hazy here. 75-150, approx 120bb deep. I raise K5s in the CO to 400. The button is an extremely large gentleman, who has been playing pretty well. a couple times I have tried to isolate weak limpers and obv he re-resqueezed from the button. He also has chipped up nicely and definitely knows how to value bet. Anyways Flop Ts3s4h. I bet 700 at 1200 and he throws out two 2k chips, other player folds I call. Turn 6x c/c. River 8s. I fire out like 5 or 6 blue chips and he thinks for a little and throws out a stack of his blues (putting me all in)

Besides killing myself? what do i do? I know live players love to just call rivers, and vs an old guy this might be a snap fold amirite? However, this guy understood position, bluffed river once, and I already was shown 3barreling a 4h on a As2s4s flop and some younger guy claimed to fold the 3rd nuts? lolz. Whatever...Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on whether double your raise size is his normal reraise amount, and how often he cbets. Discussion cannot really be done here as it depends on factors that only you can pickup at the table. Also, folding pre vs him is not a bad play even if you have his range as solely AA, since he will bet/shove any board, so you only get to see three cards, and you don't pickup enough equity vs AA to make it worth it (also, survival value has an effect, esp in a liveament like this)

Hand two you should call only because a spewy donk cannot fold his QJ or any other one pair hand that you want to semibluff off. If he has a pair smaller than jack, alot of good cards for you also make second best hands for him and he will move in on the river with them. If he bets again and you don't improve you can fold.

Hand three, if I got the action right, he checkraised you on the river? If he checkraised, this is close but still probably a call. If he is a thinking player he expects you to auto bet the flop and bet most rivers without a flush for value, this can easily be a bluff. I don't really see how he would choose CR-river line with a flush.

Then again I am a total fish and one of the worst MTT players ever (your words) so just do the opposite here.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on whether double your raise size is his normal reraise amount, and how often he cbets. Discussion cannot really be done here as it depends on factors that only you can pickup at the table. Also, folding pre vs him is not a bad play even if you have his range as solely AA, since he will bet/shove any board, so you only get to see three cards, and you don't pickup enough equity vs AA to make it worth it (also, survival value has an effect, esp in a liveament like this)

Hand two you should call only because a spewy donk cannot fold his QJ or any other one pair hand that you want to semibluff off. If he has a pair smaller than jack, alot of good cards for you also make second best hands for him and he will move in on the river with them. If he bets again and you don't improve you can fold.

Hand three, if I got the action right, he checkraised you on the river? If he checkraised, this is close but still probably a call. If he is a thinking player he expects you to auto bet the flop and bet most rivers without a flush for value, this can easily be a bluff. I don't really see how he would choose CR-river line with a flush.

Then again I am a total fish and one of the worst MTT players ever (your words) so just do the opposite here.

[/ QUOTE ]

2. You sure I can't get a better J to fold sometimes? He is spewy but you know tourney life 5k donkament?

also, who are you? lolz.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

2. You sure I can't get a better J to fold sometimes? He is spewy but you know tourney life 5k donkament?

also, who are you? lolz.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see the spade draw that he could very easily have.. its probably a shove now
Old 08-19-2007, 12:25 AM

raise

call

CRAI on riv
Old 08-19-2007, 02:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
raise

call

CRAI on riv

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU AND YOUR [censored] RIVER C/R

but yeah raise 1, Call 2, And Call 3.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 AM

1. Fold pre.

Just call flop. Stacks are short enough that you can get it in easily without raising the flop, so you might as well peel and see if an A or K comes off.

2. Def call. Raising doesn't accomplish anything good.

3. Obv call.

agree with aejones that c/r river is best. betting here makes him drop lotso f his marginal hands and checking here makes him go for slim value with a bunch of hands, and continue bluffing if he was bluffing.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 AM

1. raise.. i don't see much value in just calling here because if he doesn't have an ace he's usualy check folding so I don't see much value in letting him see a free card the obvious option would be to fold preflop but as played I like a raise and getting it in LDO.

2. Unlike Noah I like a raise here showing commitment to the hand, we have good equity vs any naked jack (that he also might fold) and were ahead of a variety of spade combo draws / naked draws that he might fold or decide to go with - it really depends on wether i feel he can bluff the river with a missed draw, if I think he's fairly straight forward I don't mind flatting here.

3. As played I like the river bet I think check/raising is a little too cagy since our hand is fairly transparent, as played seems like a trivial call with the second nuts.

BW
Old 08-19-2007, 10:16 AM

Jam (he either has AK (in which case you may be stacking him), AA (in which case you're dead anyway), or no A (in which case he's not putting another chip in the pot unless you give him another card and let him hit a set)), jam (too many scare cards shut him down on the river), jam (unfortunately restricted to a call in hand 3)

I've played with the villian in hand #3 a few times, I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of his play. For example, the KK hand early on (vs. QQ UTG limp reraise) was played very strangely from beginning to end.

Anyway, congratulations on one of the greatest resuckouts in poker history (I had AQ vs. your AA). [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]