Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
Only question I got wrong is this, could someone explain it to me?

Q: The global minimum variance portfolio formed from two risky securities will be riskless when the correlation coeffcient between the two securities is..

A) 0
B) 1.0
C) .5
D) -1
E) negative

I answered E, the correct answer is d? I assumed if you balance the weights and can go over 100% in one security and short the other as long as there is a neg correlation we can reduce variance to zero.

[/ QUOTE ]

D is the correct answer, of course. You need to balance the weights even with the correlation of -1. Without perfect correlation, you can't reduce variance to zero. To see this, take, say SPY and some sort of ETF that has negative beta and see if you can combine them to produce zero variance. You can't, if either has any variance.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
got my fake Patrick Bateman business cards to finalize my halloween costume.

[/ QUOTE ]

bateman is such a legend.

i just got back from 2 days at work at the new job. basically i don't mind (too much) the working aspect, but what i do mind is the concept of networking.

i don't mind being friendly to colleagues, but what i really hate is the concept that i should try to get to know people, or get known by people, in the firm (big 4 fwiw).

i want to treat my job as something which is a part of my life, not completely my life, and i feel by putting the emphasis on networking so it becomes a bigger part of my life.

if i plan to stay for only 3 years i assume so long as i do enough to stay in the firm for that length of time, then networking isn't really that important?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:23 PM

anyone know if absolute poker is publicly traded? i did some googling and tried a ticker lookup and couldnt find anything.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know if absolute poker is publicly traded? i did some googling and tried a ticker lookup and couldnt find anything.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's privately owned.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
leaving p an indeterminate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes this is correct and was actually my original error. The question was for the speed of the stream and all you needed to know was two miles were traveled in two hours. This is an example of "over thinking a problem". Probably would have been easier for someone without a math background. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Missing link was stream speed is relative.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:42 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on shorting oil at $90? Most likely through an Short Energy ETF.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm looking for trends in real estate prices for different geographies. In particular anything on florida would be useful. Anyone have anything?

Krishan
Old 10-17-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking for trends in real estate prices for different geographies. In particular anything on florida would be useful. Anyone have anything?

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I have been saying the L/V real estate market(as well as "some" other highly depressed markets)have some AWESOME bargains/steals IMO.... as far as Florida is concerned,I think you are dealing with a diff. animal that I am not that familiar with,just based on diff. economic conditions,huge diversity in locations throughout the state,bigtime speculative investing from locals/snowbirds,etc.

I would strongly suggest consulting a professional that specializes in the specific Fla. market you are looking into that you TRUST...before you jumping in.

Is this a first time or primary residence, vacation/secondary home...or investment property?

I do assume there are PLENTY of bargains though as well there!

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2007, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I know I have been saying the L/V real estate market(as well as "some" other highly depressed markets)have some AWESOME bargains/steals IMO.... as far as Florida is concerned,I think you are dealing with a diff. animal that I am not that familiar with,just based on diff. economic conditions,huge diversity in locations throughout the state,bigtime speculative investing from locals/snowbirds,etc.

I would strongly suggest consulting a professional that specializes in the specific Fla. market you are looking into that you TRUST...before you jumping in.

Is this a first time or primary residence, vacation/secondary home...or investment property?

I do assume there are PLENTY of bargains though as well there!

~stephen [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not buying. I'm researching a company trading below book value. But a lot of the real estate is in the SE with 15% of property in FL. Before I send something to my boss I'd like to have some info on real estate price drops by region or in FL. I haven't had any luck with google so came here.

Krishan
Old 10-17-2007, 01:24 PM

Krishan,

Are you talking about investing in particular REIT?

Or home builder?

IMO ...some of the home building stocks are getting,quite attractive at these levels....and the more NEGATIVE press/stats......makes them even MORE attractive!

SF
Closed Thread