Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-27-2007, 09:19 PM

Default $50 QQ RR pot sick flop

Villain is pretty LAG running at 40/22/2 over a ~50 hand sample and playing at a couple different tables of mine. Only pot we played he called a pfr from me in the sb and c/r'ed a KK6 flop with 36s and I won w/TT. I've been playing a nitty TAGish game. What to do here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($30.65)
MP ($110.40)
CO ($22.35)
Hero ($81.75)
SB ($60.65)
BB ($50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls $5.

Flop: ($14.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero
Old 11-27-2007, 09:20 PM

Default Re: $50 QQ RR pot sick flop

I just check and hope to get to showdown as cheap as possible. Maybe thats too simple of an answer but with his stats Im not sure hes folding a king unless youre firing multiple streets. Imo, to turn QQ into that elaborate of a bluff is just a waste.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:48 PM

The fact you have QQ here doesn't really effect much I don't think. You may as well have a smaller pocket pair like 8s or whatever. Your real question is is a cbet profitable here on its own.

I think its pretty close. If he calls a hand like KJ/KT he may fold to one flop bet. He may also be calling preflop with a lot of pocket pairs hoping to hit a set. If the pp calling is true then I think a bet is definitely good, but if he tends to call with AJ/KQ/KJ/ etc. then I like it a lot less.

Hope this helps. I think with my image lately I would just fire here but thats because I've been playing really tight. The looser I'm viewed/more he hates me I'm more likely to just check.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He may also be calling preflop with a lot of pocket pairs hoping to hit a set. If the pp calling is true then I think a bet is definitely good

[/ QUOTE ]
Betting to fold out lower PPs doesn't gain you anything. I don't think this is the kind of player who we can count on to fold Ax or even Kx based on the information in OP. I just check here.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is pretty LAG running at 40/22/2

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone who has a vpip of 40 isnt folding a king to one bet on the flop too often imo. I would think hands like AJ/KQ/KJ are definitely in his range. If it gets checked to the river you could try to make a thin value bet hoping he pays off with like 88 or something but other than that Im just trying to get to showdown. I do agree with check that if you look tight then you could fire here normally, but against someone who looks like an idiot, even thats pushing it as he probably isnt paying attention to you. (I think anyone with a vpip of 40 at uNL is a moron fwiw.)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 PM

Humm maybe my thinking is flawed with the folds pocket pairs thing. If his range on the turn is still too tight (even with him betting his whiffed cards) to call a bet on the turn, then betting the flop probably isn't good either.

I suppose the reason I like to bet this flop when playing really tight is I need to get opponents bluffing. The tighter I play the more significant my portion of winnings comes from people attempting to bluff me. So just betting in marginal situations like this early in the hand helps generate me more action where I otherwise shouldn't be getting any at all.