Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2007, 12:20 PM

Default annoying dealer comments

I've seen dealers tell people that it's better for them to wait for their blind as opposed to posting. I've also seen dealers tell people it's better to come in between the blinds as a new player than come in behind.

They don't say "you have an option" and then present the choices. They are giving advice. This annoys me. Do you think this is proper dealer behavior?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: annoying dealer comments

I've never had a dealer give me any options. I usually annouce my intentions after I sit and see where the button is in comparison to my seat. I can safely assume that probably none of them would have announced options.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think this is proper dealer behavior?

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically, probably not. But this is one of the nittiest things ever.

-McGee
Old 11-16-2007, 01:10 PM

more annoying than comments...i was playing a torney at the trop last weekend and the dealer farted at the table
Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
more annoying than comments...i was playing a torney at the trop last weekend and the dealer farted at the table

[/ QUOTE ]

They did not try to hide it?
Old 11-16-2007, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen dealers tell people that it's better for them to wait for their blind as opposed to posting. I've also seen dealers tell people it's better to come in between the blinds as a new player than come in behind.

They don't say "you have an option" and then present the choices. They are giving advice. This annoys me. Do you think this is proper dealer behavior?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am OK with this, so long as the dealer is giving sound advice (i.e. post in late position, wait in early position). When a newbie who's unfamiliar with posting sits down, this can be a better solution-- for all parties involved-- than slowing down the game so the dealer can explain all the options and the player can make a still-not-very-informed choice.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Hey, y'know, sometimes they just squeak out. We're doing a lot of bending and twisting and reaching, these things happens. How are we supposed to hide it?

I usually tell people their options, or more likely say "do you want to post?" (giving multiple choices is usually problematic, as you get "yes" as an answer) ... if a player seems unsure, I'll often validate whatever s/he chose as the proper option, just to help the comfort factor.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, y'know, sometimes they just squeak out. We're doing a lot of bending and twisting and reaching, these things happens. How are we supposed to hide it?

I usually tell people their options,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nose plugs, get up and walk around, or tough it out [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2007, 02:11 PM

In touristy games something like "you can post a blind UTG now, but you'll have to pay it again the very next hand, or you can wait one hand" is fine. And options for someone sitting down between the SB and button are sometimes voluminous and spelling out every option for a new player who knows none of the rules would take 30 seconds. It makes the game go faster if the dealer just tells a new player what the obvious correct decision is rather than spell out the rules about when he'll have to post and where he can come in, and then wait 10 seconds while the guy mulls it over.

Folks who get worked up over this strike me as people trying to take advantage of newbies' lack of knowledge of the rules (and sometimes the rules specific to the room). I don't mind fleecing the new guys 'cause they suck at poker, but taking their money 'cause they are unfamiliar with rules you can only really learn through experience isn't very sporting.

Obviously dealers can't give advice about how to play a hand. But advice based on the room's particular rules about when to take a hand as you're just sitting down? Advise away.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:25 PM

what a [censored] nit u are op, who gives a [censored].