Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 10-31-2007, 09:16 PM

Default PS micro tourney, Early game

Hi everybody

Vilain was 58/0/2 after 19 hands
I guess I had a tight/semi-loose aggro image, but I was moved to this table 19 hands ago, so no "set in stone" image

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 (t2295)
Hero (t1500)
CO (t1235)
Button (t585)
SB (t1295)
BB (t6325)
UTG (t1055)
UTG+1 (t1380)
MP1 (t3180)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t120</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls t90.

Flop: (t285) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t240</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t480</font>, Hero calls t240.

Turn: (t1245) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets t510</font>

I'm not sure about my flop play, and definitely ignorant about the right play on the turn. But feel free to criticize also the 4BB raise preflop, if needed.
If anyone care to give me advice on this hand, I would be delighted. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: PS micro tourney, Early game

The preflop raise of 4BB in a micro donkament is fine for me. As played, it's either shove or fold on the turn there. I think he's probably on a flush draw or some jack. As always, a king is possible, but I think as he played it he flips over a flush draw more times than a king.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:31 PM

Umm what is tight/semi-loose agro? Anyway...

Check behind on the flop, that's a better way to get value out of your hand on later streets and control the size of the pot.

As played, I mean unless this guy is brain dead he has to have something here, right? I mean that flop is all over your raising range, yet he went for a c/r on the flop anyway, then led the turn. Without a read that he likes to c/minraise with junk I'd be inclined to just dump it on the flop, which sucks, but either you have to dump it to the flop minraise or be prepared to go all the way with it. Honestly I'm not sure what I'd do, but the point is that this plays so much easier if you just check behind on the flop.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:48 PM

You're right, tight/semi-loose agro means nothing [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
What I meant was that I was quite tight for a while, then played 3 hands recently before that hand. So I don't know exactly how other players saw me at that moment. Anyway only 19 hands, so no real image.

Check behind on the flop now seems a good idea, but I like to CBet alot, maybe too much. Now I will include that option a little more in my flop game. I was even thinking on going AI after his c/minraise, but went for the less expensive option.

Thank you guys for the advices.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:25 PM

Location: bottomset: shoutout to steroid boy for making this possible

fold to flop minraise, in micros its teh nuts which is prob KJ
Old 11-01-2007, 07:40 AM

min-raising in micros is a plague. Most of the time, it isn't the nuts at all, but rather medium pair or some draw in response to a c-bet. Best of all, they do it instantly after you bet, which goes to show it isn't that big at all. Anyone with half a brain would slowcall your c-bet if it were that great.

I've had this happen with AK so many times. Flop comes T high, I c-bet, then get min c/r. What do I do against most of these weak plays? If I'm deep I make a modest raise. If they call, then I'm done without improving. If I'm not as deep, I push over the top; they fold more often than not.