Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-27-2007, 12:00 PM

Default PR days...How do you set these up?

In a few weeks I'll be nearing the end of a haphazard 5x5 program. I plan on using the MW of thanksgiving for personal record days and then resting the rest of the week and starting up a 5x5 with new totals after the holiday, or more likely, switching to CF for a month until winterbreak, taking the break off, and hitting the 5x5 hard in January...so how do you go about doing PR lifts to see where you at?

Sets of 5,3,3,1,1? Do you keep going if you think you can do more? Is there a more logical way? I'm looking to do PRs for standing press, bench press, squat, dl, and weighted pull ups. Thanks.

I was thinking off the top of my head of having Monday's PR as pull up, bench, squat and Wednesday's as standing press and DL...
Old 10-27-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Re: PR days...How do you set these up?

quids probably has something worthwhile to say here.

I like to plan/prepare well out in advance before I try to find a 1RM in the squat and deadlift-- and I've don't remember ever doing one in the bench. I suspect that things are bound to be kind of haphazard given that you have been kind of haphazard-- which is fine, but something to keep in mind as you administer this self test and try to stay healthy.

I would probably limit my attempts to 3 and go for a powerlifting total on Tuesday or Wednessday after taking Monday off.

In the previous week I'd do the other lifts, and do a wave type of loading through between 4 and 7 singles.