Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-21-2007, 03:23 AM

Default Re: \"buffoonery by blacks whitening NFL\" article by Jason Whitlock

[ QUOTE ]

btw blackize you are grossly oversimplifying things and i don't think you really grasp the issue at all. corporations set education policy on a broad scale that has more to do with class than race. the fact that race enters the discussion is due to the fact that the two are still intertwined in american society.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fair and probably true. I was just giving my initial impression of what you were implying in that post. The relationship between race, class, and education in America certainly isn't something I have given much thought to or have much experience with.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

That's basically my feelings as well. You can't expect anyone to learn jack if a teacher can't get a few minutes of undivided attention. And I don't see how teaching four function math and basic writing skills can be a white culture thing.

edit: And I think "white culture" is a very lazy and potentially dangerous term to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with your edit. the way you're describing my argument isn't what i'm trying to say, though.

what i am basically saying is that, by selecting AGAINST minority backgrounds in a variety of ways that i have already mentioned, schools effectively select FOR whiteness. this doesn't happen so much in the way we teach actual subject matter - although there is still plenty of bias in the way american history is taught.

where quite a bit of it happens is in micro-level processes like special education referrals, discipline, parent interactions, etc. research has consistently demonstrated that bias occurs in these processes. this falls in the realm of human error (although it is also good to look at whether teacher and staff training or other regulatory processes might have an effect here too).

there is still systemic bias as well, although some of that affects race residually due to the broader class effects.

school funding is a great example of this. a lot of education policy, including the NCLB act, punishes schools that have low test scores. it doesn't reward a school for improving scores over time, but for being at a certain threshold. schools not at that level are selected against right from the start - they can be sanctioned, which tends to make them less desirable to potential teachers, and you can see where the cycle goes from there.

this legislation - puposefully, in my opinion - selects against poor school districts with historically low achievement rates and test scores. (the fact that so much is based on test scores is also a sore point, since many people feel that a lot of standardized tests are culturally biased). this means that poor schools stay poor and affluent schools keep getting more funding.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:43 AM

I could be wrong about what NT is trying to say (and probably am), but my experience in public schools that I went to (in Houston; not necessarily 'urban' schools, but definite suburbs) seemed to not focus on critical thinking, did not encourage individual creativity or thought, did not promote learning or heavily pursuing interests, and really didn't promote open discussion or 'freedom' of any kind. In fact, I didn't really experience any of this in high school until I went to college, where I think one can choose how much they get out of it.

When comparing my high school experiences and the values taught with the majority of jobs my friends, family, etc.. have, I don't see a large difference between both environments. Most of my high school experiences almost mirror the daily experiences I had and friends/family still have with their 'corporate' jobs. From the amount of hours spent there, rules that cannot be challenged, false ideals, the teachers that wear shirts that light up act exactly like managers who wear shirts that light up, and the teacher with big poofy hair will make subtle attempts to show her cross key chain attached to an American flag with 'One Nation <u>under god</u> just as often as the loan coordinator manager with poofy hair will find ways to tell me about Jesus, even though if I tell her to stop, I am now attacking her and discussing religion at work.

craig