Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 AM

Default question about building a bankroll

I can afford to play the higher limits because i hit a bad beat jackpot online recently. Also, was lucky with a few mid level tournaments locally. I had people who tell me why dont you just try and build a bankroll like the guys on tv. Im curious for the high limit players..... what's your motivation for building a bankroll? Is it to have a better lifestyle or do you just want to play the highest limits possible? In my case after the bad beat jackpot i just withdrew most of my funds and invested it.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Re: question about building a bankroll

I think the best way for you to build a big bankroll is to put all your money in the bank and wait for the interest to pile up. From the sound of your post.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the best way for you to build a big bankroll is to put all your money in the bank and wait for the interest to pile up. From the sound of your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're not well liked among professional gamblers are you?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:59 PM

I prefer to spend my bankroll on trips to Cozumel, Cabo, NY, and bars... then I start back over at 20-40 and 25-50
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM

Seriously though... I think "pros" build their bankroll for one really solid reason. There are fish at all levels. How bad would it suck to be at the bellagio playing something like $100-$200... and look over and see three rich oil tycoons giving their money aways at the $1,000-$2,000

Personally, i think this is the reason to have copious amounts of LIQUID cash... of course, I'll never be in this spot due to my spending habits from above, but I wish you the best.

that being said, I would max out the small retirement investments while you can (I think the IRA max is like $4,000 a year now)... I say that because yearly retirement dollars is something you can never invest in if you miss the window.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:10 PM

limit is not the way to go so many swings
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Uhm, bankroll isnt for a better lifestyle. It is for playing with. Dont spend money from your bankroll.

You are more than welcome to use your BBJ winnings to play higher stakes, just make sure its at my table... by that I mean to say, you are most likely outclassed and you should work your way up not just jump right in. RE: Calvinhobbes for those who know [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats actually not a bad idea. Use a bank account to store your money in and use interest only for playing poker.

Lets say you have $10,000 and you get 5.5% interest...

$10,000x0.055=$550 over a year

That gives you $45.83 a month. That should give you a couple of buy-ins at 50/1 or 1 buy in on 1/2. Use that money till the end of the month, and then deposit any winnings back in to increase your bankroll. This is actually the safest way to play your money yet certainly not the fastest.

Lets say at the end of the year you make $1000 - then your bankroll monthly allowance would be $50.42. If you make $2000 then your monthly allowance would be $55...etc

Initially it will be tough and very often at the start because you will only have a buy-in or two to play with, you will bust out very often. However if you are young and a winning player at low limits this could be a good way to go though to slowly build up money. A good strategy for the risk adverse. Poker doesn't have to be a gamble but a long time investment.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 AM

Building a bankroll is only part of moving to higher limits. At PS for example, the difference between 30/60,50/100, & 100/200 is significantly different. the $30/60 game is, imo, looser and easier than the 15/30 game. The 15/30 and 50/100 are similar. the 100/200 is still very difficult.

The important part is to keep winning, saving, and learning to play. Moving up limits doesn't just change how much you win or lose, it changes the style of play significantly.

Watch two players playing HU 100/200 and 200/400. They are significantly different games.

I am referring to 6-max tables in all of my comments above and limit.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:02 AM

[censored] why are you still playing poker??? the first thing id do if i won that [censored] was quit