Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Default Re: Limiting low count spam and trolling

[ QUOTE ]
An idea that gets brought up on a regular basis is not allowing new members to start threads if they're under a certain number of posts. I've always been against the idea because it's harsh on new users.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your sollution is just as harsh on new users, and will turn off some potentially long-term users if their threads are not approved.

Sorry guys, I have to say although RB's proposal sounds good, it will backfire. I think its better for public relations to continue as is.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
your sollution is just as harsh on new users

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about all that. The other method that's been suggested before doesn't let them post new threads at all until an arbitrary limit is reached, which would be greater than two.

This would be so worth it, and I can't imagine it being a real problem for users who only want to participate. I also don't see how it does damage to our relations with the public to say we're trying to give everyone a better board. You'll be past the suggested two posts in no time if you're a legit user. Additionally, we will be able to limit zero post PM spammers through that usergroup's permissions. And if there really is an issue of people misinterpreting things, we could say only Mat and I can do it. I doubt that's necessary.

I can understand mods not wanting to have to do much extra. That's completely ok. But this will cut down on a lot of what people have been complaining about for what seems like forever without you guys having to do anything. I guess that's all I can say.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:37 AM

This sounds like it might be less work than cleaning upafter a spammer.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 AM

Makes no difference to me. If you don't have someone around 24/7 to approve posts you risk alienating certain new users (which is what I think TT was saying).
Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM

it's not too hard to convince me to work less.

let's drop it for now.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daryn

Nice lid.

[/ QUOTE ]

gotta support the team

Old 10-04-2007, 11:18 AM

if we are approving posts anyway, how about just do it for first post only and if the post is ok then we approve the entire account

why wouldn't one post be good enough?

another possibility is more than one post but if they regd a certain amount of time in the past they wouldn't have to be approved at all

another idea is to make sending PMs require at least 25 posts or something (no approval, just post #)
Old 10-04-2007, 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also don't see how it does damage to our relations with the public to say we're trying to give everyone a better board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I realize it doesn't matter since Mat decided to pass for now, but perhaps this better explains what I was thinking.

2+2'ers love to whine about everything. They whine when spammers come to the board, they whine about newbies, etc. But these whiners are already existing users, the chances of them leaving are historically slim. What we don't need are people who we never get to hear whine because they are turned off by a system of restricting posts when they first join, IMHO any forum-wide solution which restricts a new user would eventually reduce the number of new users who become active members. There are already countless people who bad-mouth 2+2 on the outside, people who refuse to join for whatever dumb reason they can justify in their brains. We are often accused improperly of being elitist, I just think that a forum-wide restricted post policy would increase the elitist accusations and in turn affect new membership.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I realize it doesn't matter

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:46 AM

Default Better idea?

[ QUOTE ]
How does it identify the spam?
All of the posts for users with a post count of less than 10 (configurable) have their posts checked against a number of rules. Each rule has a different "score". If the total score for the post exceeds a specified limit then the post is deemed to be spam.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=155242

I have a feeling this is going to get more support. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]