Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 AM

Default Re: ZMA

I take the ON version, but I highly doubt it matters much.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 AM

So do you just take it right before bed or do you take it throughout the day. I've been battling sleep problems for years and would love if this could help.

Also do you know if it's available in Canada?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:23 AM

You take it before bedtime on an empty stomach. Not sure on availability in Canada.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:03 AM

Thx, guess i'll check at the local sup shop.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM

No way, take the t-nation version. Mad cheap, high quality.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 PM

I would but I've heard many times about supplements being stop at the boarder. I'd rather pay a little more and be sure I'm going to get them.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:49 PM

zma should get through the border without any problem since it's sold over here anyway.....i just ordered some after reading this thread even though i'm sure the vivid dreams are gonna [censored] with me at least 1/10 times. the prospect of the other 9/10 good not stressful dreams makes up for it
Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 PM

I can't figure out the ZMA love here. Does anyone know of a study (that is independent of any affiliations with Victor Conte or anyone else that stands to make a profit from ZMA hype) that shows ZMA actually works? I'm VERY skeptical that this supplement is anything but completely worthless.

The only studies I have seen are ones co-authored by Victor Conte (the developer of ZMA!) and this study, which disagrees with Conte's findings . Although to be fair, that study I just cited only tested ZMA on male, trained athletes, and doesn't comment on how ZMA could affect people with little or no training.

I'm willing to listen to arguments, as I'd love to add another supplement to my regime that I actually think works, but as of this moment, I just don't buy the hype.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:57 PM

That study shows (as per Wikipedia):

[ QUOTE ]
Another study in 2004 found that ZMA has no effect on strength or hormone levels, but did show a lower rate of muscle catabolism and cited further study was recommended.[3]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what most people here are echoing - lower rates of muscle catabolism is pretty damn effective for people who are cutting, and that almost certainly relates to recovery time.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That study shows (as per Wikipedia):

[ QUOTE ]
Another study in 2004 found that ZMA has no effect on strength or hormone levels, but did show a lower rate of muscle catabolism and cited further study was recommended.[3]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what most people here are echoing - lower rates of muscle catabolism is pretty damn effective for people who are cutting, and that almost certainly relates to recovery time.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it did indeed decrease rates of muscle catabolism, then I would absolutely agree that this was a worthwhile supplement. Maybe I'm missing something, but after reading through the results and discussion section again, I don't see where it comes to this conclusion at all.

From the discussion section to that study:

"The major findings of this study was that dietary supplementation of a commercially available ZMA supplement resulted in a non-significant 12-17% increase in serum zinc levels but did not appear to affect anabolic or catabolic responses to resistance training, body composition, or training adaptations."

There might be a small, favorable trend in regards to body composition according to the paper, but the data they found could easily be due to random chance. The authors found the changes "not statistically significant", and they contend that further study would have to be performed.