Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:31 PM

Default OT: So I\'m getting married....

Hello MTT Community. For those of you that know me, you may just want to skip the next two paragraphs.

For those of you who don't know me, here is a brief bio:

I'm a 24 year old Ph. D. graduate student in personality and social psychology. I live in southern california with my fiance. My last name is the same as my SN, Sherman. My first name is Ryne as I was named after Ryne Sandberg, a former 2nd baseman for the Chicago Cubs.

I began playing poker seriously just over 2 years ago. I only play in my spare time, which makes bankroll building difficult, especially when I mainly play MTTs. However, I've been around 2+2 for quite some time, spending the majority of it in MTT strategy. However, due to time constraints, I have picked up cash games in the past two months.

Ok, so for the point of this OT post. I'm getting married. I'm currently back "home" in Central IL and getting married this Saturday. I've been engaged for just over a year now and have exclusively dated the same woman for over 3 years (sorry no pics...yet). We spent the last year living together as she moved to CA with me while I attend graduate school. This was of course shocking to my grandparents and her grandfather that two people of the opposite sex might live together before marriage, but they are going to let us get married anyway. In my opinion, living with my fiance for a year before we got married was a great decision. I have no idea how two people can be certain they want to be together forever without actually trying it. So if I can give any advice at all to anyone thinking about getting married, I would say live together for a while first.

Anyhow, the real point of this post is this. As poker players we often spend a lot of time (at least I do) bitching about how unlucky we are or how bad we run. Well, one day when I was bitching about how unlucky I am to run so bad (early this August...and I really was running bad [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) my fiance made a comment to me. She said, "No, you are really lucky."

She didn't have to say anymore for me to know what she meant. And she was right. I am extremely lucky to have found her to marry me. I've got a woman who is hard working, beautiful, smart, supports me playing poker, and (most of all) puts up with me in general. So when I really look at it, overall, I've "run" pretty good and no amount of bad cards or coolers can overcome how good I've run in life. Not now that I am getting married. I sure do run good.

End Brag.

Sherman
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Re: OT: So I\'m getting married....

ouch
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM

awesome. gl.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:33 PM

CONGRATS SHERMAN!!!!!! huge brag...edit the title and make it Brag: im getting married ldo!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM

Congrats, I'm not speaking from experiance or anything but I am at that age where some of my friends are getting married and they all tell me the first year is the most difficult. Hopefully you have a great wedding and honeymoon and avoid the first year curse, GL.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:40 PM

wow, anybody named after Ryne Sandberg and living in Central Il. is A-ok in my book. Congrats and may you have a beautiful wedding and wonderful future together!

p.s. where are you getting married?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:49 PM

Congrats Sherman.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:50 PM

congrats man, enjoy your big day.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Congrats man,

How does your soon to be wife handle poker?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 PM

Brag: You're getting married.
Beat: You're getting married.
Variance: Little Sherman's inevitable?