Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Psycological problem with big hands / big pots

Hi,

I have a problem that I am seem not be able to control. I feel like I make not much big mistakes preflop and on the flop, I even have no Problem folding overpairs e.g. BUT as we continue in the hand and the pot get bigger on the turn and river I seem to be incapable of laydown any hand > Top Two Pair when I get raised or I am facing a rivershove. If I look up the hhs in pokertracker I see clearly that I am beat most of the times but I can't make the conversion from the theoretical knowlegde to the adecuate turn and river action on the table.

What can I do to change this? Look up HHs here in the forum time and again??? Any hint?
Old 08-18-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Re: Psycological problem with big hands / big pots

I think a solution to many psychological problems is to get into a mindset that you aren't playing for money, rather you're playing for the challenge of making as few mistakes as possible. A good way to do this (for me) is just to review each session and then challenge yourself to play more optimally on your next session.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:39 PM

"Desensitize yourself to money" is a critical challenge for every player from everything I have read and from my own experience (limited though it is in comparison to most here).

If you are focused on this one hand, then you are playing "short-sighted" poker. This hand doesn't matter, ALL the hands matter. Your goal is not to win the hand, your goal is to make as many correct decisions as possible. If you make more good decisions than your opponents, over time, the money will come.

So, what to do in the short term? Be well/over bankrolled. Play as low a stakes as you can. Then, just start calling whenever it makes sense to you. Raise a few times just for the heck of it. You will lose. You will win a few. Many winning players actually lose more pots than they win.

Just do it and do it and do it and do it. Every hand is about doing it as well as you can and it's not about anything else.

Maybe someday that magical switch will click over and I'll be indifferent to money, myself.

Play for the long haul.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:37 AM

When facing a river shove for instance, say to yourself "What am I trying to beat when I call?"

By focusing less on 'I have 2 pr' and more on 'This guy just made a straight', you should make better laydowns.

Also, accept the fact that occasionally you will lay down a winner, but be saving $$ in the long run. Just like folds you make UTG, some hands would have won, but overall folding is best.

Same deal here---what are you trying to beat? Some of your 2 prs might win, but winning a few here and there won't make up for all the times you face the nuts/bigger hands.

GL
Old 08-19-2007, 10:49 AM

remind yourself that making a good fold is like winning a good pot. count these situations and add them up at the end of the week. the result should be motivation to continue doing so.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:49 PM

More than likely it's a math problem and not Psychological.