Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 AM

Default Ice cubes in a drink

Some friends and I became involved in an argument at the bar tonight. Please help me settle it.

There are two glasses sitting on the table. Both glasses contain only liquor and ice, and at the time of the argument the top of the liquid is at the same level for each drink. One drink is 'fresh' and is full of ice all the way down to the bottom of the glass, while the other drink has been sitting for a few minutes so there is only a small amount of ice remaining. Neglect any ice floating slightly above the surface of the liquid.

After a discussion about which drink contains more liquor, one party proposes a bet: if we were to wait several hours until all the ice in both drinks melted, the older one that is partially melted would have a higher liquid level.

The others argued that the fresh drink that was full of ice would have a higher liquid level after all the ice melted.

This bet could not have been carried out for obvious reasons, but if you have to back one of the two stances, which would you back?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Ice cubes in a drink

I believe Ice is less dense then water, as it floats. So the glass with ice would have more volume.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe Ice is less dense then water, as it floats. So the glass with ice would have more volume.

[/ QUOTE ]

LDO???
Old 07-15-2007, 05:03 AM

Both parties lose.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:13 AM

Longer evaporation time FTW.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Longer evaporation time FTW.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure they aren't considering that. But yes, it'd make the ice-filled glass more full. Otherwise it's a tie.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:39 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, the drinks could not have been identically prepared if the almost-melted drink is at the same level as the fresh drink. That makes the question unanswerable without more information.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 AM

Ice that floats has no effect on level of water as it melts. Ice floats because it is less dense and displaces a volume of water of equal weight. As it melts this evens out.

OP states clearly that glass full of ice is full TO THE BOTTOM, therefore this ice is NOT FLOATING. As ice melts into water it becomes denser and therefore SHIRINKS in volume.

So the level goes DOWN.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:49 AM

Generally, when things get colder they shrink. The most notable exception to this is water; when it freezes it expands. Don't believe me? Test it out... place a can of coke in the freezer over night :P

When water turns into ice, the structure changes and it expands, so when the ice melts, the structure changes back it shrinks.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, now that I think about it, the drinks could not have been identically prepared if the almost-melted drink is at the same level as the fresh drink.

[/ QUOTE ]That is the point of the debate.