Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Bush to commute Libby sentence

I think it's fairly clear that the prosecutor might have been a little overzealous. But it's also very clear that Libby lied under oath and perjured himself. He committed a crime regardless of what he was testifying about.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition, care to cite the source of that article? I trust it is from an unbiased source.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an article; it's an excerpt from a post on some right-wing blog -- close to the end, about 6 paragraphs from the bottom:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...president.html

The American Thinker

"The American Thinker is a daily internet publication with articles on the topics of national security, economics, diplomacy, culture, and military strategy[1]. The articles published are often mentioned on The Rush Limbaugh Show."

Why rely on unbiased news sources when right-wing propaganda reaffirms what we already know? You know, stuff like Plame not covert, Saddam = bin Laden, Iraq had nukes pointed at us, etc. etc. LDO
Old 07-02-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In addition, care to cite the source of that article? I trust it is from an unbiased source.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an article; it's an excerpt from a post on some right-wing blog -- close to the end, about 6 paragraphs from the bottom:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/...president.html

The American Thinker

"The American Thinker is a daily internet publication with articles on the topics of national security, economics, diplomacy, culture, and military strategy[1]. The articles published are often mentioned on The Rush Limbaugh Show."

Why rely on unbiased news sources when right-wing propaganda reaffirms what we already know? You know, stuff like Plame not covert, Saddam = bin Laden, Iraq had nukes pointed at us, etc. etc. LDO

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying Richard Armitage did commit a crime.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:44 PM

If Bush thinks this sentence is "outrageous", why doesn't he pardon the kid, Genarlow Wilson since the justice system in the south seems to have been created by cavemen and the taliban.

He would be worthy of getting his sentence commuted--better yet, a full pardon. No one deserves the [censored] that kid has gone through. The DA should also be forced to resign or spend 5 years in prison too for his overzealousness.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has been charged with releasing Plame's identity, including Armitage, the actual leaker -- true enough -- but I'm not sure what that has to do with Libby obstructing justice, lying to the federal investigators and perjuring himself.

Nor does the fact that no one has been charged with releasing Plame's identity mean that she wasn't covert, unless you think that the fact that no one has been convicted of murdering Nicole Brown Simpson means she wasn't murdered.

[ QUOTE ]
If Bush thinks this sentence is "outrageous", why doesn't he pardon the kid, Genarlow Wilson since the justice system in the south seems to have been created by cavemen and the taliban.

He would be worthy of getting his sentence commuted--better yet, a full pardon. No one deserves the [censored] that kid has gone through. The DA should also be forced to resign or spend 5 years in prison too for his overzealousness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something about the constitution and federalism, I think.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought I read that Armitage wasn't charged because Libby's actions rendered it basically impossible to charge him with a crime.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Fitzgerald knew Armitage was the source of the leak before he asked Libby question uno. Why would it be impossible to charge him?

[ QUOTE ]
If this is correct, then your idea that this was nothing more than "a perjury trap" makes no sense (and I've never heard of a "perjury trap" to begin with).

[/ QUOTE ]

So what your saying is that since Fitzgerald knew that Armitage leaked Plame's name before he asked Libby one question about the case he decided that Libby was the person that needed investigation, not Armitage the one person that you apparently assert comitted a crime.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Show me the specific statement where I claimed it was unbiased.

[ QUOTE ]
And the idea that this is all the work of some rogue US Attorney who had some vendetta against the government -- in an era when merely glancing wrong at the government got US Attorneys fired -- is preposterous.

[/ QUOTE ]

No he was appointed as a special prosecuter. He found out very early, basically in the initial stages of the investigation, that there was no crime committed in the leaking of the Plame's name. Not a good career move to be appointed a special prosecutor with a big budget and shut down the investigation almost immediately.

He knew the source of the leak from the earliest stages of the investigation and also determined that he had no case that he could prosecute for leaking the info. Yet the investigation continued into what? Whatever the special prosecuter wants to investigate, ask Kenneth Starr.

On a Perjury Trap

Other courts and noted scholarship have expressed similar concerns about the sinister misuse of the justice system. See United States v. Chen, 933 F.2d 793, 796-797 (9th Cir. 1986) (a perjury trap is created when the government calls a witness before the grand jury for the primary purpose of obtaining testimony from him in order to prosecute him later for perjury); United States v. Simone, 627 F. Supp. 1264, 1268 (D. N.J. 1986) (perjury trap involves "the deliberate use of a judicial proceeding to secure perjured testimony, a concept in itself abhorrent"); United States v. Crisconi, 520 F. Supp. 915, 920 (D. Del. 1981) (expressing concern over the government's use of its investigatory powers to secure a perjury indictment on matters which are neither material nor germane to a legitimate ongoing grand jury investigation). Some courts question whether such governmental conduct might violate a defendant's fifth amendment right to due process, Simone, 627 F. Supp. at 1267-72, or be an abuse of grand jury proceedings, Crisconi, 520 F. Supp. at 920. See generally, Gershman, The "Perjury Trap", 129 U. Pa. L. Rev. 624, 683 (1981).
Old 07-02-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No one has been charged with releasing Plame's identity, including Armitage, the actual leaker -- true enough -- but I'm not sure what that has to do with Libby obstructing justice, lying to the federal investigators and perjuring himself.

Nor does the fact that no one has been charged with releasing Plame's identity mean that she wasn't covert, unless you think that the fact that no one has been convicted of murdering Nicole Brown Simpson means she wasn't murdered.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dodged the question I asked you as it can be answered with a simple yes or a no. I'll take your non answer as a no you don't think Armitage committed a crime.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 PM

Bush will go down as the ______________ president ever...
Old 07-02-2007, 10:31 PM

The whole thing was one big joke...seriously there was nothing to go on from the beginning and I am glad he got commute...and to anyone crying about it just go back to your last President and see what happened when charges like this were brought up