Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2007, 05:19 PM

Default help a clueless car owner (battery issue)

Cliff notes: I recently bought a new car battery. It keeps failing and I don't know why.

I bought a used car about 4 months ago, and when I took it to a mechanic for a diagnostic, he said the battery would need to be replaced pretty soon. So about a month ago I bought a new battery at Auto Zone. Because I'm a klutz, I spilled some of the acid on the way home, so I took it back to Auto Zone and had them re-fill it and make sure it was charged. They said it was still in good shape.

So last Saturday I had to make a trip and the battery was dead. I took it to Auto Zone and had them charge it again, it worked fine for the day.

Today I had some errands to run and my car wouldn't start, again. This was the first time I'd tried to start it since Saturday night (I don't use the car that often). I took it to Auto Zone and had them charge it again, but this time my car still won't start. This morning the battery was totally dead, now it just kind of sputters and stalls.

Any advice? Did I ruin the battery when I spilled some of the fluid, and should just get a new one even though the guys at Auto Zone tell me my battery should be fine? Or might there be something else wrong with my car?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: help a clueless car owner (battery issue)

Car Batteries are sealed. If acid spilled Auto Zone would have taken the battery back. You just spilled some water, and if AZ refilled it then the battery would be fine. You might have a bad alternator, or you have a short in the relay that is draining the battery while the car is off. Autozone will bench test your alternator for you if you remove it.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:25 PM

does anyone else think this is an Alternator problem (im no mechanic), but this is my first hunch.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Location: Trapped in an alley in Abilene, with all but four shells spent

[ QUOTE ]
does anyone else think this is an Alternator problem (im no mechanic), but this is my first hunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine, too.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM

I would estimate that there is a 90% probability your alternator is dead. Take it to autozone and have them test the alternator.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would estimate that there is a 90% probability your alternator is dead. Take it to autozone and have them test the alternator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like an alternator, but OP needs to clarify something:

[ QUOTE ]
Today I had some errands to run and my car wouldn't start, again. This was the first time I'd tried to start it since Saturday night (I don't use the car that often). I took it to Auto Zone and had them charge it again, but this time my car still won't start. This morning the battery was totally dead. Now it just kind of sputters and stalls.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the battery failed to start the car immediately after being charged (you tried to start your car directly after AutoZone recharged it and couldn't) then the alternator isn't it, or at least there is something else wrong too.

P.S.: Your car sputters and stalls? That means the starter motor turned fast enough to start the engine but it couldn't keep running. Is that the situation?
Old 05-26-2007, 12:22 AM

Dilznoofus,

Correct, the car failed to start directly after being charged at AutoZone. Actually it was about 15 minutes later, I had my friend give me a ride to AutoZone and back because I couldn't use my own car.

Also, no, the engine didn't ever start. By sputtered, I meant that there was at least some current going to the ignition, whereas before I had the battery charged this morning, I couldn't even turn the headlights on.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dilznoofus,

Correct, the car failed to start directly after being charged at AutoZone. Actually it was about 15 minutes later, I had my friend give me a ride to AutoZone and back because I couldn't use my own car.

Also, no, the engine didn't ever start. By sputtered, I meant that there was at least some current going to the ignition, whereas before I had the battery charged this morning, I couldn't even turn the headlights on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, if I'm reading this correctly, before you had the battery charged your car was completely dead, no headlights no nothing. Once you got it charged, the car at least attempted to start, but never turned over. I'm going with alternator.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:15 AM

Autozone will test your alternator for free. Do this.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:56 AM

I can't figure out how to get the damn thing out of there.